NSKL Main Thread

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

JayW527

Re: NEW STRAT KEEPER LEAGUE

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 am

Official Vote (requires 8 yeses to pass):

Do you want to lower the minimum # of keepers to 5?

Russ
Neil
Jay - yes
Joker
Peter - No
Ray
BillyV
RickP
Roger
Steve
John
WPW - No

JayW527

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am

Other proposed rule changes by league members:

1. Allow teams to acquire more than 3 Supplemental Draft Picks.

2. Place teams in fixed divisions

3. Allow promotions of prospects whenever there are available roster spots (ie. during drafts).

4. All teams will pick at least 3 prospects during prospect draft (if you trade an early pick you will
still be able to pick beyond the 3rd round till you have acquired 3 prospects). I would suggest
putting a cap on the number of prospects a team could acquire to prevent abusing this rule.

These suggestions were by league members during the first part of this season (#3 was the only one
I brought up). I would appreciate a formal vote for these items and any others that may be added to
the list.

Thanks,
Jay

thisisray

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 9:13 am

Russ
Neil
Jay - yes
Joker
Peter - No
Ray - No
BillyV
RickP
Roger
Steve
John
WPW - No

TefJ

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Jay,

Before a formal vote, let's clarify a few things about these rules:

I agree with this 100%, but feel as though we should cap the draft at 3 rounds, 36 total picks.

3. Allow promotions of prospects whenever there are available roster spots (ie. during drafts).

With our original rules, prospects must be dropped withing 2 years, so the arbitrary date upon which we conducted our prospect draft mattered, and sometimes you'd be able to promote players during the Spring FA draft, other times you'd have to cut them on a random Wednesday before the draft. It was confusing and difficult for no real reason, so we changed it to this way, which captured the idea behind the prospects while providing more structure. I think it's important to clarify what exactly you mean. What I believe the issue is, is that you would like to promote prospects in lieu of a late round draft pick. Is this correct? If so, then it is certainly an option, but it seems like quite an advantage, and when people wanted to use a loophole in the wording of prospects in the middle of a draft, it seemed best to stop it. We should certainly resolve this issue before the Spring 2013 FA draft. It seems to me to be fine to do it either way, though, as someone who voted for less keepers and more turnover, I'd prefer to keep this system as is as well. Happy to have a vote on it, though.

4. All teams will pick at least 3 prospects during prospect draft (if you trade an early pick you will
still be able to pick beyond the 3rd round till you have acquired 3 prospects). I would suggest
putting a cap on the number of prospects a team could acquire to prevent abusing this rule.

I think this rule allows for a lot of abuse, and I don't quite see the reason behind it. Why should you be rewarded for trading away your prospect picks? If I trade you all 3 of my prospect picks for a really good player, I then have the benefit of having 3 extra picks at the end? Granted, they're worse players, but still, it seems like it would create some unbalance. Still, if people are for this, can have a vote on it.

mlbphan

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Russ
Neil
Jay - yes
Joker
Peter - No
Ray - No
BillyV
RickP - YES
Roger
Steve
John
WPW - No

Shouldn't this read 'Lowering the number of cuts prior to the annual FA Draft from the current 10 to 15 to between 5 & 15'??? this sounds a little less confusing than keepers. keepers are anywhere from 25 to 30 on the 40 man roster & any # up to 10 on the prospect roster (provided there are not any 2 year mandatory promotions on said roster).

Rick Piergrossi

TefJ

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 2:18 pm

Do you want to lower the minimum # of cuts to 5?

Russ
Neil
Jay - yes
Joker
Peter - No
Ray - No
BillyV
RickP - YES
Roger
Steve
John
WPW - No

You're right, Rick, it should read cuts. That's what I get for writing it when I haven't had coffee yet...

JayW527

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 2:29 pm

Responding to Ted in RED

I agree with this 100%, but feel as though we should cap the draft at 3 rounds, 36 total picks.

With our original rules, prospects must be dropped withing 2 years, so the arbitrary date upon which we conducted our prospect draft mattered, and sometimes you'd be able to promote players during the Spring FA draft, other times you'd have to cut them on a random Wednesday before the draft. It was confusing and difficult for no real reason, so we changed it to this way, which captured the idea behind the prospects while providing more structure. I think it's important to clarify what exactly you mean. What I believe the issue is, is that you would like to promote prospects in lieu of a late round draft pick. Is this correct? If so, then it is certainly an option, but it seems like quite an advantage, and when people wanted to use a loophole in the wording of prospects in the middle of a draft, it seemed best to stop it. We should certainly resolve this issue before the Spring 2013 FA draft. It seems to me to be fine to do it either way, though, as someone who voted for less keepers and more turnover, I'd prefer to keep this system as is as well. Happy to have a vote on it, though.

My goal was to be able to promote prospects in lieu of a late round draft pick during the FA draft. The better teams are penalized by being placed in the same division, the draft order, and the requirement to make 10 cuts before the FA draft. This would be an instance that doing something well could benefit a team at draft time.

I think this rule allows for a lot of abuse, and I don't quite see the reason behind it. Why should you be rewarded for trading away your prospect picks? If I trade you all 3 of my prospect picks for a really good player, I then have the benefit of having 3 extra picks at the end? Granted, they're worse players, but still, it seems like it would create some unbalance. Still, if people are for this, can have a vote on it.

I agree with you, but it was brought up during the year and would promote manager interaction.

I am not in favor of all of the ideas above. I just listed the changes that had been brought to my attention by various members.

-Jay

ndowdy

PostTue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm

Russ
Neil - No
Jay - yes
Joker
Peter - No
Ray - No
BillyV
RickP - YES
Roger
Steve
John
WPW - No

peterdouglas38

Available

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Josh Collmenter
Sergio Santos
Victor Martinez
Placido Polanco
Alex Presley
Nyjer Morgan

rzepernick

PostWed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Russ
Neil - No
Jay - yes
Joker
Peter - No
Ray - No
BillyV
RickP - YES
Roger Yes
Steve
John
WPW - No