Semi-Finals 2022 Tour information

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

mighty moose

Semi-Finals 2022 Tour information

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 2:19 pm

Once we know who the Top 92* and the Top 8 are, two things will happen.

A thread will be created for the Top 8 to vote for their preferrence for salary cap (80 or 100 Mil) and (DH - NO DH) for the Finals. Also, they will vote for their choice of LIVE DRAFT position. Their votes will be requested in order of their Top 8 finish. Once the semi-finals concludes and we have the league champions, the other 4 players will get seeds. The 12 team league champion (with finishers 9 to 20) will get the 9th finals spot. 10-11-12 spots will go to the semi-final league champion (24 team leagues) with the most to fewest wins in their semi-final.

The (3) 24-team semi-finals leagues will be populated in the following manner. After tie-breakers sorts out EXACTLY what place you finished (there will be many with the same point totals) teams finishing 21-32 will go into SemiFinals #2 along with teams finishing 81-92*. The next semi-final #3 will have finishers 33-44 paired with 69-80. And 45-68 go into semi-final #4.

There will be no discussion on this seeding. Not only is this how I have been placing the semi-finalists for the past many years, but the Barnstormers Board agrees on this method by a majority vote (just in the past week).

* At this moment, I know 2 players who have indicated issues where they will not be ABLE to play in the semi-finals so unless their situation changes, we may be looking at TOP 94 instead of TOP 92 once the 2 have been removed from the list. Any others who decline to participate in the Semi-Finals league or are a NO SHOW after invites go out, will extend invites to those who are alternates in the 95 (or lower) spots.

SOM will be giving a CREDIT for the Top 92 players at the conclusion of the semi-finals as a salute to their participation and respectable finish (in addition to any credits earned through normal league play).

Moose

FrankieT

Re: Semi-Finals 2022 Tour information

PostFri Sep 30, 2022 2:59 pm

Thanks Moose--and a credit to boot. Awesome

cristano1

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 12:07 pm

For finals draft will the 140m salary cap be an option to vote on, or just 100m and 80m as in years past?

mighty moose

PostFri Nov 04, 2022 11:32 pm

80 or 100. 80 is still the "default" new player cap, 100 is the most popular and most played cap. Anything lower or higher is "specialized" and our "top seeds" know how to exploit them. We must level the playing field so even 9-12 have a shot.

MaxPower

PostSat Nov 05, 2022 7:35 pm

According to my data $80 is the most popular cap, followed by $200 and above, then $100.

$140 is unique in that it's the only cap without a lot of platoons. I would say it's too draft-dependent for a final but the final is a live draft, so it would probably work fine. $60 is basically the same strategy as $80. $100 is truly the sweet spot though. $60 and $80 are just platoons, but $100 makes more full-time players competitive with those platoons, opens up a lot more variety. Honestly I'd be pleased to see the final just made $100 like the semis are, get rid of the weird vote. But the status quo is fine too.

mighty moose

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 1:41 am

Event #1 was a players CHOICE event. Leagues were created as they filled up. This was the # of leagues created. Look it up.

60 2
80 4
100 6
140 2
200 2

Similar numbers for the previous years tournaments. "Choice" event has been running at least 5 years.

So as far as the AVERAGE Barnstormers Players are concerned, that's the "most popular" event.

I also asked my SOM contact. 100 was the most user created league, edging out 80 (not counting automatically created "AUTO LEAGUES")

I notice you didn't name your data SOURCE. (Not that it would have mattered)

Couple of years ago, there was some call for creating a 120 Mil. Event. I even asked SOM if they would create 120 as a "dropdown box" choice instead of a "write in" choice of cap, because I didn't want all the newbies to be confused on how to find the leagues. SOM said they would do it if I really wanted it. - - - But then the Barnstormers Board was polled and it was a unanimous NO for 120. Same with what should be used for the 6th Event. "Choice" won out.

Again, this tournament is designed so that the average player can compete on a level playing field. The more players we can attract, the more leverage we have along with opportunities for better and more prizes.

It's no surprise that the TOP players always want things slated in their favor. 140 Mil would most definately NOT favor the middle of the pack players that would be lucky enough to make it to the #9 to #12 finals spots.

But wouldn't it be a cool cinderella story to see the #92 qualifier win the tournament ? America loves an underdog.

MM

MaxPower

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 4:11 am

I was going by data I scraped in 2020 for all leagues, including auto-leagues and tournament leagues. I agree it makes more sense to just look at tournament leagues though. I was also combining $200 and above into one category since $200 is virtually unlimited, that might be the source of the discrepancy between mine and Strat's numbers.

FrankieT

PostSun Nov 06, 2022 1:30 pm

Thanks as always Moose.

As for platoons MP--cmon--at least the leagues I can see and especially the tour leagues that everyone can see--platoons do not seem to be correlated to caps.

They do seem to be correlated to certain manager styles and indeed, because of the pricing structure, also correlate well with better records.

MaxPower

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 1:38 am

You haven't noticed way less platoons at $140? Don't think I'm imagining that. Every other cap they are omnipresent.

FrankieT

PostMon Nov 07, 2022 7:41 pm

MaxPower wrote:You haven't noticed way less platoons at $140? Don't think I'm imagining that. Every other cap they are omnipresent.

Hiya...I haven't...but that is my perception. I only perused leagues I've seen and a few of the tour 140s.

I didn't see any obvious correlation that struck me. Maybe it's not fair I said that and I don't have a dog in that hunt...just saying that platoons are pretty much everywhere, along with thin bullpens and stud starters, and I didn't notice much difference at 140.
Next

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour