Normalization: A Humble Request to Strat-O-Matic

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: Normalization: A Humble Request to Strat-O-Matic

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 4:54 pm

Cleese and Kline in one of my favorite movies--you forgot to drop the mic!

freeman

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 5:01 pm

Hilarious film. One of my Dad's favorites too so it has a little extra resonance for me.

MaxPower

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 7:38 pm

OOTP is a thousand times more popular than Strat and is played by tons of young people. And all it is is one gigantic black box. Strat is a better game but about a thousand times more expensive, which is why boomers are the only ones who can afford to play it. The company is way more interested in gouging boomers for basic functionality like charging $30 for the ability to customize ballpark images than it is in actually trying to attract new players. It's really the most poorly run business I've ever encountered.

Backfire

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 7:51 pm

MaxPower wrote:OOTP is a thousand times more popular than Strat and is played by tons of young people. And all it is is one gigantic black box. Strat is a better game but about a thousand times more expensive, which is why boomers are the only ones who can afford to play it. The company is way more interested in gouging boomers for basic functionality like charging $30 for the ability to customize ballpark images than it is in actually trying to attract new players. It's really the most poorly run business I've ever encountered.

Both sound awful to me but it sounds like OOTP (no idea what that is btw) is making a lot more money and thus more successful. All I want is full transparency and to see the game thrive, I think it has all the potential to do so.

MaxPower

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 11:42 pm

OOTP is way more successful than Strat, yes. My point was that transparency has nothing to do with it. Strat has ~97% transparency whereas OOTP has 0%. But OOTP on sale costs like $10-$20 and it comes with the new season as well as all the previous seasons, all the NPB seasons, all the NeL seasons, all the minor league seasons. And it's fully customizable in terms of parks, uniforms, player pics, etc. Strat charges $50 a season and an extra $30 if you want to add your own ballpark images, it's beyond absurd. For software that basically hasn't been updated since the 1990s.

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of ... ball-home/
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats