Why Neil Robinson?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

labratory

Why Neil Robinson?

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 2:37 pm

I've got a weak fielding catcher platoon and Bill Killefer is supposed to come in for defense.
Both platoon catchers are set to remove for defensive sub with lead.

When Killefer is injured, HAL continues to "remove for defensive sub" despite having no other eligible catchers on the roster.

I'm sure this has happened to everyone at one time or another.

My question is why HAL always moves Neil Robinson from CF to Catcher and puts a worse fielder into CF. Thus hurting defense at two positions.
What's so special about Neil Robinson that he's always the one chosen as backup backup catcher? Anyone know the logic behind how HAL decides who becomes catcher in this situation?

bkeat23

Re: Why Neil Robinson?

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

labratory wrote:I've got a weak fielding catcher platoon and Bill Killefer is supposed to come in for defense.
Both platoon catchers are set to remove for defensive sub with lead.

When Killefer is injured, HAL continues to "remove for defensive sub" despite having no other eligible catchers on the roster.

I'm sure this has happened to everyone at one time or another.

My question is why HAL always moves Neil Robinson from CF to Catcher and puts a worse fielder into CF. Thus hurting defense at two positions.
What's so special about Neil Robinson that he's always the one chosen as backup backup catcher? Anyone know the logic behind how HAL decides who becomes catcher in this situation?

I can't answer your query, but I'm in a league that's recently put non-Catcher rated players as subs at catcher.
I had Jimmie Wilson listed as a backup DH. I know in game subs will get dicey with a C at DH.
HAL started the game with Tony Phillips at C and Wilson at DH. I've used this combo quite a bit, and this is the first time it's happened to start a game. There were discussions in our league that somethings been tweaked in the code.

FrankieT

Re: Why Neil Robinson?

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 11:44 pm

Not sure why it happens. But it happens reliably.

So I don't use the Hitter Prefs that way.

For defensive subs, I don't mark any on that window. I use the Team Strategy interface to identify a few key defensive subs.
Same thing for pinch running. HAL makes weird decisions. He may remove a 10M player for a scrub in the 7th inning just to gain +1 to Run rating. So I select PR Don't for most except scrubs or maybe very slow platoon guys.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats