New cards: bargains?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

honestiago

Re: New cards: bargains?

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 10:12 pm

Molina seems way underpriced for that D.

Hack Wilson

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm

I always love .50 players. Turner Ward, switchhitter, big injury risk, terrible fielding -- but hit card looks OK for that price.

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 11:00 am

MtheB wrote:the other good thing about the new card set is that there are now more .5 SP starting pitchers that don't relieve, so that there is not this mad scramble for Leal, Conroy and Lerch....

Definitely true. And it's fun to play around with all the new .50M+ cards mentioned above. I keep addding and dropping some of these cards in my current pre-season league as I find new ones. I missed Bengy Molina at backup C, but will keep him mind for future leagues. Even so, I've got Wolters, who is new to me, an pretty new to the set.

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 11:18 am

murphy3 wrote:Molina defense is as good or better than anything you can find with Pagnozzi, Hegan, Archer, Dempsey, Petway, Yeager at around $1M. Not a whole lotta difference between hitting for all those defensive aces. Nice way to save some cheddar on C.

Lately I've been using a Burgess / Ferguson or Wock platoon a lot in low-cap leagues. I've been happy with Burgess, who does hit well for the money, but when I miss out on Wock, or in a pitcher's park, where Fergusson might even be better offensively, he never really hits much, and of course his defense is terrible. I'm tempted to try to go with Bengie Molina in future leagues as the RH half of my platoon, for the great D and lower cost. And he can come in as defense sub for Burgess when I have a lead in the late innings. Any thoughts on this strategy? And thanks for the tip.

chris.sied@yahoo.com

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 11:25 am

Personally, I like Josh Billings in that platoon in anything but a righty bomber park. Good enough defense, an on-base machine at that salary, and he hits righties well enough to not cripple the lineup when your lefty goes down. I use him with Lavalliere often.

That said, I like that new Molina card also and can see that strategy working, especially if you can put that extra half mil or so to good use on upgrading the vs lefty side of the lineup somewhere else to make up for some of the lost offense.

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 5:40 pm

Sounds good to me!

Hack Wilson

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 7:44 pm

Love cheap catchers! Kinda cheap, Earl Williams, I think he got dropped in two drops ago, is great as a RH against R platoon player in a bomber park for $2.63M.

Outta Leftfield

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 11:02 pm

Hack Wilson wrote:Love cheap catchers! Kinda cheap, Earl Williams, I think he got dropped in two drops ago, is great as a RH against R platoon player in a bomber park for $2.63M.

Wow! Earl Williams' numbers vs RHP in a bomber park are really impressive, and, at that price and for that offensive production, his defense is quite acceptable. I'm definitely going to try him out, Hack!

Hack Wilson

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 10:07 am

:D I always like to read up on the players, and Earl Williams was quite the character -- https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/Earl-Williams/

"Earl was a smart man who had attended three years of college and read avidly, with sociology his favorite subject. But Williams did notice that, while he was only the second catcher to ever win the NL Rookie of the Year, the first, Johnny Bench, was constantly doing endorsements. None came Earl’s way, and this bothered him." ...

..."The first major blowup occurred when Williams missed the team bus to Fenway Park on June 24. Earl Weaver suspended him for the game, and Williams watched the contest from the stands. Weaver noted that there were “a lot of irritating little things” about Williams, one being his willingness to yell back at fans, which the skipper did not like."

Hack Wilson

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 am

Has anyone tried the Mike Jorgensen '74 card at $7.06M?

Tons of OBP, stellar defense, lefty...goes way up in the clutch.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats