Can we move up the Finals Live Draft

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

jaywalker72

Re: Can we move up the Finals Live Draft

PostSat Aug 06, 2022 11:41 pm

I do not wish to have a slow draft on the message boards as my commitments don’t allow for me to monitor the boards as often as would be needed for such a draft.

Juiced put the Aug 18th date/time out there from the get-go and that it would be a live draft. We all participated understanding that was out there. I also said I could make the 14th work based on franky’s three hour estimate for draft completion.

I would prefer to have everyone able to participate equally, naturally, but separate from an auto draft or everyone being able to do a live draft at the same time, I don’t see that outcome.

jmdziuban2

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 1:57 am

Juiced put the Aug 18th date/time out there from the get-go and that it would be a live draft. We all participated understanding that was out there. I also said I could make the 14th work based on franky’s three hour estimate for draft completion.

I would prefer to have everyone able to participate equally, naturally, but separate from an auto draft or everyone being able to do a live draft at the same time, I don’t see that outcome.

There is truth in that.

franky35

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 10:16 am

here is the relevant part of the rules:

The Championship final league will use a LIVE DRAFT which is scheduled to take place at 9:30 PM Eastern time on Thursday August 18th. Everyone knows now when the Live Draft is scheduled for, so please make note of this. If there are multiple people in the top 12 that cannot make the date/time of the draft, the commissioner will try and re-schedule to a more agreeable time but no promises can be made that this can be accommodated. If a Live Draft time just cannot be determined / set based on availability, a 6 round snake draft will take place on the Discussion Forum and then an auto-draft will take place to fill out the rest of the rosters. Order of the draft will be determined by the final standings, and the set used will be voted on by the top 12.

I don't know how the commissioner will rule; however, since 3 people = "multiple people" it looks to me like we are headed to a message board draft. I've been trying to find an alternate time that works for everyone, but so far no luck. I've suggested the live draft with a one hour window, although that isn't in the rules, I was hopeful the commissioner would consider it if we had consensus from the 12 finalists that it was preferable to a message board draft. At this point, it is not clear to me that we have consensus that a 26 round live draft with a one hour window is preferable to a message board draft. At least jaywalker and jmdziuban want to stick to the quick live draft on the 18th, but it isn't clear if the commissioner decides that there are too many people who can't make the 18th, if they prefer a 26 round live draft with a one hour window to a message board draft.

franky35

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 10:30 am

Since my previous post is too long, here is a more succinct version.

One possibility is that the quick live draft will move ahead on the 18th. The Rules say the 18th and if the Commissioner says tough cookies and sets that as the draft, then maybe some of the people have indicated they can't make it will arrange their schedules to at least partly attend, or they set proxies for up to 15 players, or they don't. In any case, the live draft moves forward as planned.

Another possibility is that the Commissioner rules that we'll have a six round message board draft.

Let's suppose, hypothetically, that the Commissioner does not move ahead with the quick live draft. In this hypothetical situation, can everyone vote on whether they would prefer a 26 round live draft with a one hour window or a six round message board draft:

ed1447

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 10:48 am

I think that Juiced JC is just going to have to make a call on this bc I doubt we will get sufficient agreement given people's schedules and preferences.

To answer franky's question, I would prefer 26 round draft 1 hour slots over message board draft.

But as stated previously, I am good with whatever the commissioner decides.

hallerose

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 10:53 am

My preferences:
1. Live draft where everyone can attend. It worked very well last year. Not sure this will happen this year.
2. "Live" draft, 26 rounds, with 1 hour time limit, clock off at night. Everyone should be setting some proxies. I might have to do some of this on my IPhone, but I assume I could figure it out.
3. 10 round message board draft. 6 rounds really isn't sufficient, especially if 1 of your picks is a stadium.
4. 6 round message board draft.

piloneus382

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 12:25 pm

I know that the rules state a live draft but is an autodraft the worst thing? it's not ideal but it's the method that got us here in the first place.

sphilipp8

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 1:48 pm

The rules state that the live draft will take place on August 18 at 9:30. If there are multiple people in the top 12 that cannot make the date/time of the draft then attempts will be made to find an agreeable time. I think it’s safe to say that we cannot find an agreeable time.

The rules state that we revert to a 6 round snake draft on the Discussion Forum. I think this is where we are now. Franky made the suggestion for a 26 round draft with a one hour clock but this idea doesn’t work for jaywalker and maybe jmdziuban2.

So, we have a 6 round draft on the Discussion Forum. The goal should be to get through one round per day and get the draft done in a week. This shouldn’t be too much of a time commitment – checking in a couple of time per day. This isn’t ideal and I don’t think anyone really likes this option but it seems to be the best compromise.

jaywalker72

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 2:11 pm

Good catch on the stated fallback Juiced re: 6-round message board and then auto draft - I signed up under that. So that is what I will play by.

EDIT: I would try to do a 1-hr window live draft if everyone wanted to. I love the fun of a live draft and would be willing to queue players if I knew I was looking unavailable.

Can’t wait to get things going - good luck to all!

jmdziuban2

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 5:39 pm

I can do whatever is decided upon. the larger issue is dates, or more precisely days of the week. Tuesdays are particularly bad for me, with Wednesday and Thursday not great but workable which is why I requested the 18th off from work - but I can change that also without much problem, probably.

As for the format, I would prefer a full live draft as I believe everyone would. A one-hour window is fine but is it possible to have a minimum window of say 20 minutes?

My concern would be seeing that I am six picks away, but knowing that many would not use the full hour or whatever time limit is imposed and so it would not be exp[ected that a full six hours would need to elapse until my pick came up. I would still check back in as able for updates, but the concern is being - for example - six picks away and having all those picks made in a total of 15 -20 minutes, and am unaware I am on the clock so quickly. Particularly if by chance all my queued choices were gone.

Unlikely, maybe, but still. A minimum time of say 10-20 minutes would allow some certainly such that in the example all would be assured of at least 1 or 2 hours before their pick coming up.

The downside is that there is then likely a maximum of 6 or 7 rounds done in any single day.
PreviousNext

Return to --- Mystery Tournament