Ballpark Effects

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

nevdully's

Re: Ballpark Effects

PostThu May 26, 2022 6:46 pm

Charlie posts with a certain knowingness, but in truth he doesn't know....so...

How about not anecdotal for the people in the back... but straight from the Owner of the company's mouth "I don't want total transparency, it's our secret sauce" Hal Richman.

Or from their top programmer for many years, Bernie Hou "Hmm I didn't know this feature was on" also from Bernie, "I don't know why this other feature was put in there... and...it seems to be working completely opposite from it's intended function" also from Bernie "I see other bugs in the system but since I promised the updated BPV2 months ago, I'll release it now and look to return later to correct them"

also Charlie "noone" is not a word. :roll:

gkhd11a

PostThu May 26, 2022 8:40 pm

nevdully's wrote:also Charlie "noone" is not a word. :roll:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/noone

English
Etymology 1
From no +‎ one. Compare Middle English noone, noon, noan (“noone”). More at none

MaxPower

PostThu May 26, 2022 10:05 pm

nevdully's wrote:"I don't want total transparency, it's our secret sauce" Hal Richman.

Most likely referring to the max rules, the black box they have documented.

I just love that you guys all say stuff like "Strat will never acknowledge all the black box stuff," then Strat acknowledges and documents all the black box stuff, and you guys just keep saying "Strat will never acknowledge all the black box stuff."

Here's a question: how many times since the max rules wiki was published has the wiki been revealed to be incorrect, resulting in either a change to the wiki or a setting being corrected in the code? All this other stuff is half-remembered ancient history.

Salty

PostThu May 26, 2022 10:46 pm

MaxPower wrote:
nevdully's wrote:"I don't want total transparency, it's our secret sauce" Hal Richman.

Most likely referring to the max rules, the black box they have documented.

I just love that you guys all say stuff like "Strat will never acknowledge all the black box stuff," then Strat acknowledges and documents all the black box stuff, and you guys just keep saying "Strat will never acknowledge all the black box stuff."

Here's a question: how many times since the max rules wiki was published has the wiki been revealed to be incorrect, resulting in either a change to the wiki or a setting being corrected in the code? All this other stuff is half-remembered ancient history.

Umm
no - we never said they denied it exists- what we've said is that they refuse to tell anyone how any of it actually works-
so when we see consistently odd things happening we question whether its the black box doing it or if its just a normal thing ---

I mean why do these concepts defy ones ability to understand it?
Seriously...

Salty

PostThu May 26, 2022 10:49 pm

djmacb wrote:
Like anecdotal posts on an Internet board? A high bar indeed.

MacBee- -
Would be really refreshing to hear you make even a semi-relevant point.
Or not...whatever.

nevdully's

PostThu May 26, 2022 10:56 pm

"English
Etymology 1
From no +‎ one. Compare Middle English noone, noon, noan (“noone”). More at none"

and upon closer inspection it, like you, is nonstandard and not preferred. :mrgreen:

Salty

PostThu May 26, 2022 10:59 pm

Didnt realize we were fpeaking middle english now--

I gueff thatf what we get for trying to correct charlef. 8-)

MaxPower

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:15 pm

egvrich wrote:Strat ADMITTED that there were in fact HIDDEN RE-ROLLS going on behind the scenes to pull the results within the expected norm or something along those lines.

The bottom line is that there is stuff going on and they have no intention of telling us what it is.

This is an example from earlier in the thread. It's hilarious because immediately after Strat ADMITS to "hidden re-rolls" (which is literally just how the max rules work, as documented in the wiki), he claims that Strat will never cop to all the nefarious goings-on. My dude, they just copped to it in your own anecdote!

The max rules are dumb. Most of them should be turned off. It would be great if the play-by-play documented when a max rule intervened. But they only affect a small percentage of rolls. Folks should stop obsessing over them. And they should especially stop obsessing over the ones that do not exist. And they ESPECIALLY should stop spreading misinformation about rules that are off secretly being on.

Folks, I am living proof of two things: (a) this game is nothing more than a giant math problem to be solved, and (b) almost no one else approaches the game in this manner. (a) should be good news for anyone worried about the influence of the max rules - I've done the math and I'm here to tell you that the math checks out and overcomes any black box fuckery. It's there for anyone else who cares to discover it. The interesting question that follows from (b) is why anyone who does NOT approach the game as a math problem would expect to be successful in the first place.

Salty

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:23 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Folks, I am living proof of two things: (a) this game is nothing more than a giant math problem to be solved, and (b) almost no one else approaches the game in this manner. (a) should be good news for anyone worried about the influence of the max rules - I've done the math and I'm here to tell you that the math checks out and overcomes any black box fuckery. It's there for anyone else who cares to discover it. The interesting question that follows from (b) is why anyone who does NOT approach the game as a math problem would expect to be successful in the first place.

1. the dice game isn't just a 'math problem' -- its about various strategy, as is baseball in general.
Thats what most people LIKE about this game. If its about math for you, great.
2. The fact is that if you haven't played in a given league, one shouldn't be entitled to the data from said leagues.
To me, the fact that SoM has allowed someone to get it bc they know how to scrape plates is just wrong.
3. You have 'done the math' -- in what way exactly? You've figured out which players do well in a given environment...how is that 'doing the math' that explains all the results?
4. While I haven't been as 'successful' as yourself- haven't done badly, especially given that I dont use data scraping and tons of math
I play to come up with creative strategies and interesting ways to TRY and win. THATS HOW I HAVE FUN- I mean again, seriously why not just play computer math games if thats all that matters??? CREATIVITY is what makes it good.
and yeah-- Im sure you can just copy that by looking at the data from everything-- shame.

MaxPower

PostThu May 26, 2022 11:44 pm

Salty wrote:2. The fact is that if you haven't played in a given league, one shouldn't be entitled to the data from said leagues.
To me, the fact that SoM has allowed someone to get it bc they know how to scrape plates is just wrong.

LOL. Idk what "scraping plates" is.

Here is a league I'm in: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/league/460050

You're saying that link should lead to a dead page unless you're a league member? Why? What about the Barnstormers standings? Those shouldn't link to players' leagues or teams? What an odd, paranoid view to have.
Salty wrote:3. You have 'done the math' -- in what way exactly? You've figured out which players do well in a given environment...how is that 'doing the math' that explains all the results?

It explains the results well enough to win 93 out of every 162 games. Is that not enough?
Salty wrote:THATS HOW I HAVE FUN

Dude, that's totally fine. I'm just here trying to give you good news: that if you DID decide to approach it as a math problem, you would learn what I have learned: that the cards produce the expected results and the influence of max rules is minimal. But since it sounds like that wouldn't be fun for you, just keep doing what you find fun, and take my word for it! Or keep believing in paranoid bullshit, your call really.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats