2022 Players Championship

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

J-Pav

Re: 2022 Players Championship

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 11:53 pm

And I DEFINITELY do not agree that he should have to have 25 second picks after you.

Palmtana

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 12:36 am

J-Pav wrote:The easiest actual solution is a no ballpark restriction autodraft, but no one is clamoring for that either.

I'll clamor. Any draft on the boards, whether it's 3 picks and a park, 1 pick and a park or just a park pick is going to lead to consternation like that which you all are sussing out. Humans are playing, not robots. If you want to play with robots, such as HAL, just do an Autodraft as mentioned above. If you want to do a Boards Draft, those who are bothered with delays will need to find a relaxant because dawdling happens in life .

Live Draft, as J-Pav noted, is a nonstarter Axelrod. Can you imagine getting 36 managers to do so. Ay Yai Yai!
Dictates from a Commish don't matter if the will, or knowledge, is lacking.

J-Pav wrote:Not necessary, but thank you. I’m just a recently retired old guy with entirely too much time on his hands. I’ve tried to learn to be quieter, but sometimes I can’t stop myself, despite great effort.

Ha! Me too. Middle School Science for 30 years on my part. My motto since has been, "Less Stress, More Strat!"

J-Pav

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 1:03 am

:D

Palmtana

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 1:46 am

Axelrod Gunderson, the Forum Rules state:

3. The following types of communications are not permitted. This rule applies to message posts, links, images, and any other form of communication that take place on this forum:

- Profane, vulgar, obscene, or indecent language or images.

I've deleted your post from Fri. Nov. 19, 2021 at 7:33 PM in the 2022 Players Championship thread concerning JimmyJames209. There are many sites that allow the language you used. This is not one of them. Take your vitriol elsewhere.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 11:47 am

You’re silly

freeman

PostSat Nov 20, 2021 2:19 pm

My input:

(1) A three round draft is fine. I do believe that it should be done by order of finish. It's a modest bonus for doing well in a tournament with a fairly high percentage of participants playing 4 or 5 events making the semis. Not even remotely comparable to the bonus the top 9 managers get in Barnstormers where the other 72 play in 3 24 teams league play-offs...and have to win to reach the finals!

(2) You need a clock. Maybe like 10-10 EST. 3 hour time limit. You miss your pick you come back later and submit it. It's not the end of the world, man.

(3) People need to understand their obligations. If you disappear for a while when play-offs are about ready to begin you risk getting replaced. Again, not the end of the world. There should be an initial estimate of when the tournament is going to end. Play-offs will not begin before then. You need to be checking once a day around that time. The estimate of when it begins will likely be fine-tuned around that time. I would say if you've disappeared for 72 or 96 hours after the end of the qualifying round....you risk being booted from the tournament. Again, not the end of the world.

Just stop coddling people so much. Some people might have a real emergency and miss out on the tournament. Again, not the end of the world. Otherwise, you have some minimal obligations to keep track of what's going on and if you don't you risk getting booted or losing your pick. Just inform people in boldface and I bet somehow, some way people will find a way to not miss their pick and not fail show up for the play-offs.

Knerrpool

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 10:52 am

All of Freeman's points sound reasonable to me. I would vote for a proposal such as that.

Axlerod Gunderson

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 4:50 pm

Knerrpool wrote:All of Freeman's points sound reasonable to me. I would vote for a proposal such as that.

Agreed.

SiblinRivals

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 12:58 am

J-Pav wrote:We’ve twisted this whole thing into crazy contortions when all we need is three straightforward autodrafts, without all the board discussions and unnecessary drama.

Amen

SiblinRivals

PostThu Nov 25, 2021 1:41 am

freeman wrote:My input:

(1) A three round draft is fine. I do believe that it should be done by order of finish. It's a modest bonus for doing well in a tournament with a fairly high percentage of participants playing 4 or 5 events making the semis.

(2) You need a clock. Maybe like 10-10 EST. 3 hour time limit. You miss your pick you come back later and submit it. It's not the end of the world, man.

(3) People need to understand their obligations. If you disappear for a while when play-offs are about ready to begin you risk getting replaced. Again, not the end of the world. There should be an initial estimate of when the tournament is going to end. Play-offs will not begin before then. You need to be checking once a day around that time. The estimate of when it begins will likely be fine-tuned around that time. I would say if you've disappeared for 72 or 96 hours after the end of the qualifying round....you risk being booted from the tournament. Again, not the end of the world.

I've appreciated to a great degree lots of good input on this topic from the majority of people. Freeman, J-Pav, Palm and others...good stuff.

I agree with several that we can do it more efficiently. I like your suggestion, freeman. Delays do happen, and in my league, I was one reason for that. But frankly given the number of people who had conflicts we gotta understand there are circumstances that can be difficult. I think three other people have said as much. One cannot always be available, and earning a spot after 6 months or so and five leagues and getting bumped isn't really flowing with the spirit of healthy Strat competition IMO...

In my case, I scheduled a business trip to Mpls Mon-Tues. Now, it just so happened that the dates miraculously coincided with deer hunting season...I was basically off the grid from Tuesday evening until Saturday morning...and despite what some folks say about internet being everywhere, when you are a couple miles from the Canadian border, in a deer stand on a farm outside of Baudette, MN, one has squat for reception... I come back and find the drafts had started...

This is not about my situation-it was my first year, and I realize I should've somehow posted about it--and would try to figure it out a way in a coming year. Rookie mistake to be sure.

All of that said--this is why I was a proponent for setting a date for the draft start. In a few posts I've suggested we can know a good date (might be off a day or two based on how long the final league's playoffs go) about two months in advance... My thought was we know the season takes about 54 days, and with some time between the end of the season and the playoffs, we can get darn close. You suggest something similar, freeman, and I'd be all for it...and once that date is set folks need to be around or find a proxy.

I do agree that, having been involved in my first season that there are measures any of us could take...such as sending picks a disinterested party from another league, or the commish, or a friend in the event something occurred that might take you off the grid. Understanding things happen is important, but freeman you are correct that owners do need to take some responsibility. I still hate the idea of anyone earning a spot and missing out...but if we have a date and it's been out there for two months, there is plenty of time to find a solution.

If we did have a known start date, I would be all for having the three-hour window (or similar) as freeman suggests.

Finally, these delays have really caused a lot of stir, and as Palmtana pointed out, some folks thinking that these forums are their personal venting space. I was in later starting leagues in each of the rounds. I think the poor guys in the first league to finish in session 5 had to wait just over three weeks for the final league in session five to finish...so I guess I just don't get too concerned about a three-round draft taking a few days.

I also agree with the many folks who have suggested that a live draft is not a realistic possibility.

One final point on this whole situation...I have posted and seen a few other posts (including chris on page 1 of this thread) addressing the fact that we can't choose which times we decide to follow the rules. I get this delay really bothered a FEW people to an extreme degree, and they let everyone know about it, including me. But these same people didn't seem to care about other delays throughout the qualifying rounds of play. A bit hypocritical IMO. As Chris mentioned as well, there were rules and posts talking about strict deadlines in other areas which simply were never enforced. One league couldn't get fillers and almost two weeks after the deadline it got moved into the open public forum for non-participants to help fill...and still took another week to fill.

How can we legitimately enforce deadlines in a playoff draft when we didn't enforce deadlines in other areas? We either enforce all deadlines or shouldn't have them when it comes to deadline dates.

If there is a deadline to fill a league, and it doesn't fill...that should be it...no one else can join at that point. Either fillers come in, or that league folds... For fillers, maybe there is some caveat that winners of sessions who earned credits help fill that pool, or it is a responsibility given to the commissioner/board...or, talk about moving things along-- if a person is at risk of having the last league in a session eliminated if we can't get fillers, that will surely get people to sign up quicker and move things along :)

Hope everyone is off to a good start to their playoff seasons!
PreviousNext

Return to --- Player's Championship