Use of mop up

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Danchiacchia

Use of mop up

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 10:40 am

Curious how people use the mop up role in pitcher settings. I have traditionally put my worst pitcher in this spot (usually a .50 SP/RP). As expected, they turn a bad start into a definite loss by getting shelled for two innings. I’ve had this epiphany recently that perhaps I should rethink this, and use someone who has hope of stabilizing the game, and giving me a chance to come back. Has anyone else tried this approach?

davidhalls6

Re: Use of mop up

PostSat Aug 28, 2021 7:06 pm

I play mystery leagues so early in the season my mopup is a guy who needs innings so I can determine what card he is using. After that it is a starter/reliever I'm not using or a reliever I am not afraid of wasting or over using. If my bullpen is deep enough this is a decent pitcher but if not a balanced pitcher or reverse pitcher (LHP better vs RHB or RHP better vs LHB) has a better chance of lasting a couple innings. Otherwise, just put in a cheapie to save the bullpen. Make sure you remove the bad pitcher or the setting in a big game. I learned this the hard way when HAL threw in the towel, putting in my worst pitcher in a do or die championship game 6. My team came back but lost on the extra runs allowed by the lousy mopup. dh

Danchiacchia

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 8:35 am

Thanks! Great point on the "big game" aspect--I too have been burned by this (somewhere out there Allen Ripley is silently nodding his head).

tmfw30

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 4:51 pm

I never put a $.5 guy in mopup - times when I use a mopup, which are growly increasingly rare, it's a least a ~$.75-$1m guy who is relatively balanced vs both lefties and righties.

Return to General Strategy