outfield defense

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

phalfoot

outfield defense

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Hello,

asking for a friend....

Is it better to have three outfielders with a 2 rating or have a 1, 2, and 3 rating? I'm assuming you wouldn't your 3 in CF?

What do the "experts" think?

toronto50

Re: outfield defense

PostFri Jan 15, 2021 11:27 pm

OF defence is crucial. Misplays in the infield lead to runners. Misplays in the outfield make runs.

CF can get the same amount of plays as LF and RF combined. So, a 1 in cf is imperative. I aim for a total OF of 7. ( 1 in cf, and a total of 6 at lf and rf). If i have a 4 in the OF the better have a bat. And if I can get a 1 cf with a -4 arm or better,, yes please, even with a below average bat (victor robles, keirmier).

the ghost of roger maris

PostWed Jan 27, 2021 5:16 pm

gotta look at errors too.

According to Dean Carrano and NERP - http://www.mfooz.com/bblog/wp-content/u ... efense.pdf

A 2-22 2B would allow 1.4 Defensive NERP and a 3-4 2B would allow 1.7 Defensive NERP. So it is a close call
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

joethejet

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 5:10 pm

toronto50 wrote:OF defence is crucial. Misplays in the infield lead to runners. Misplays in the outfield make runs.

CF can get the same amount of plays as LF and RF combined. So, a 1 in cf is imperative. I aim for a total OF of 7. ( 1 in cf, and a total of 6 at lf and rf). If i have a 4 in the OF the better have a bat. And if I can get a 1 cf with a -4 arm or better,, yes please, even with a below average bat (victor robles, keirmier).

Not quite true, CF has 3 chance, lf/rf combined is 4.

As you point out, a good arm in CF is important as all missed HR/DO are to CF. Not sure you always need one quite *that* good, but it *will* help your D for sure. Definitely try to avoid a + arm in CF even with good range/e rat.

Is it better to have three outfielders with a 2 rating or have a 1, 2, and 3 rating? I'm assuming you wouldn't your 3 in CF?

You definitely don't want a 3 in CF.

So, to answer your question, we'll just consider range and assume that the e rats are roughly equivalent.

2's across the board lead to:
lf/rf 2*3 hits each
cf 3*3 hits

total of 21 hits, 7 doubles, 14 singles.

1-2-3 (always assuming the 3 is on the corner)
1 in cf, 3 in lf
lf 2*6
rf 2*3
Cf 3*0
18 hits, 8 doubles, 10 singles. More doubles, fewer singles, probably better overall

2 in cf, 3 in lf
lf 2*6
rf 2*0
cf 3*3

21 hits, 9 doubles, 12 singles. So, you're slightly better off with all 2's. These are close enough that your e-rats and arms may tell you which way you want to go.

BTW, arms in RF are more important the LF due to the long throw to third (+2 to the running speed verus -2 from LF)

Hope this helps.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx