HAL - please stop trying to steal 3rd

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

centerfielder17

HAL - please stop trying to steal 3rd

PostFri Jan 22, 2021 8:39 am

Set to conservative and only players with 1-17 or higher are set to steal more.

What do I fix?

Bo_Belinsky

Re: HAL - please stop trying to steal 3rd

PostSat Jan 23, 2021 3:58 pm

I dunno, but I don't know why HAL insists on doing this, especially after stealing 2nd and putting the runner in scoring position. Pretty much has made me back away from a running game.

coyote303

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 5:09 pm

Stealing third is a weakness of SOM in my humble opinion. In fact, when I googled the topic, here's what I got:

Also of note is that the MLB-wide success rate since 2015 is much higher stealing third base (77.3 percent) than second base (71.4 percent).

I believe this is because a runner won't steal third in real life unless he can get a great jump, not because it's necessarily easier. Although, Joe Morgan has been quoted as saying stealing third is easier.

Regardless, SOM makes it harder to steal third with less chance of success than for stealing second. Unrealistic.

I wish there was an option in SOM 365 to "Steal Third Less." Or even better, come up with a better in-game formula that makes it difficult to get a jump to steal third but better odds of success if you do.

tmfw30

PostThu Jan 28, 2021 12:49 pm

i agree with everything coyote just said.

to the best of my knowledge, the answer to the original question is there's nothing to do and you're screwed

Valen

PostFri Jan 29, 2021 2:43 pm

Agree with coyote as well. But I wonder if that success at stealing 3rd since 2015 is not influenced by shifts. I see a lot of teams still shifting with a man on second with third baseman way off the bag playing shortstop. It becomes a race to bag when the runner goes where the fielder often has to catch throw on the move and then twist to try making a tag.

I would be curious if coyote did that same research using a 5 year stretch from 40 years ago what the numbers would be. That is roughly the time period when strat's algorithm for advanced stealing was devised. And now they are struggling to keep the legacy game compatible with the modern game.

Return to General Strategy