Starter/reliever fatique

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

sebtay41

Starter/reliever fatique

PostSat Dec 26, 2020 1:22 pm

I've been curious about this for a while and it just happened to me in a league. If I pitcher has a Starter and Reliever rating (say S9*/R3 and he relieves a game, is he then fully rested for a subsequent start right away? I suppose the reverse is also a question if he starts and say pitches at least 7 innings when will he be fully rested for relief work.

The example the just occurred, Koufax pitched in relief first game of series and completed 2 full innings walked 1, so faced 7 batters. Then he started the third game and pitched 8 innings a and was still at F9 when he came out for the closer in the ninth.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how it works in this case.

I guess what if the opposite had happened, that is, if he started game 1 pitched 8 innings would he have been fully rested to relieve 2 innings in game 3?

coyote303

Re: Starter/reliever fatique

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 4:34 pm

sebtay, I suspect you haven't gotten a response because nobody really knows. SOM does not document it. I changed a starter who relieved the game before, but I suspect it wasn't necessary. I believe he would have been F9 just as if he hadn't been used. However, I didn't want to risk it.

I believe Strat-O-Matic in most areas does a great job simulating the game of baseball. However, pitcher fatigue is a glaring area of weakness for the game engine. It's sad because with their graduated fatigue system (F0-F9), they could tweak it just a bit to give a far more realistic system.

sebtay41

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Okay thanks for the response. Maybe next time I have a team that is out of it late in the season I can experiment if I have a pitcher like that.

crazyab

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 11:24 am

Has anyone ever seen a relief pitcher come in and go to F0 immediately? https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 452911/780
4-2 lead going into the bottom of the ninth - Eckersley comes in as closer and strikes one guy out and is at F0. Strikes another guy out and then walks a batter and is pulled for a lefty to face Betts (3L). Of course, Betts rolls a 3-8 and the game continues solely due to the pitching move. Eck had pitched in the previous game but I have never seen this before.

coyote303

PostSat Feb 27, 2021 2:12 pm

He pitched in the previous two games.

Return to General Strategy