Is the Game Rigged?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

STEVENSTEFFANNI

Re: Is the Game Rigged?

PostSat Dec 05, 2020 3:45 am

I have wondered the same thing myself particulary with players..some of these teams that get into the playoffs on paper are a joke yet somehow always seem to get just the right roll ....it also doesnt seem to matter what strategy I use I always come up short for the playoffs

Hittmens

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 1:57 pm

STEVENSTEFFANNI wrote:I have wondered the same thing myself particulary with players..some of these teams that get into the playoffs on paper are a joke yet somehow always seem to get just the right roll ....it also doesnt seem to matter what strategy I use I always come up short for the playoffs

Or another theory maybe you suck

ebsalo

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Dan, I'm intrigued. Sounds interesting. I'm new to 365, so I don't have much experience. I wonder how much MLB follows those same WLL or WWL patterns in a regular season, and how that compares to 365's patterns? The one complicating factor is that I would imagine that the parity in 365 is more than in MLB (the difference between the Yankees and Orioles is likely greater than the difference between the best and worst manager in any one of these leagues, but maybe that's not a safe assumption). I think almost all of us believe in aggregate, hard numbers. So something like that comparison would be beneficial. Or at least more beneficial than calling us idiots. :)

Tsballgame09

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 9:14 pm

i have two interesting observations.

1) i disagree with managers who have spent alot of money and get preferential HAL treatment. If you go to manager records and review the list of all-time manager records....many and i mean many of them are under .500.

2) As far as randomness...sometimes i do wonder about it. i have 4 teams and all of them over the last 21 games are all 8-13....very interesting.

honestiago

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 9:00 am

I have a current team that started 77-31 that is now 89-52. It’s frustrating, but my lead is still 13G. All that good luck just evens out over the course of 162 games. Now, if I were a conspiracy theorist, I guess I’d bitch and moan that I **should** win 112 games, because, of course, in real baseball the worm never turns. :roll:

I know why my overall record is what it is. I play a lot of themes of my own making, rather than min-maxing. I’ve run several iterations of “Los Reyes” (Latin/Hispanic teams), a team with all players from the early 40s (the “War Dogs”). The current team, above, is filled with base stealers (who’ve produced 306, so far). It’s a different version of another, similar team I had that sneaked into a playoffs, caught fire, and won the whole thing. I was happy to have that great start. But you knew it wouldn’t last. Nothing does. That’s why, every time I see people whine about the iniquities of a silly dice game I wonder how well they handle the vicissitudes of real life. Danno probably thinks 2020 is a personal conspiracy against him.

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostSun Dec 13, 2020 6:26 am

danno..a friendly piece of advise...walk away...if your like me your trying to figure out why the girl you love doesnt love you back..its a computer generated dice game and even if you are right about everything its not going to change anything love her for who she is or walk away..I have taken this advise myself finally and this is my last post..after I use my last credit Im done...the sun will rise tomorrow..dont waste a minute of it on something you have no control over and bring down the wrath of the people on here who support and love this..Its just not worth it..

Tsballgame09

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 11:39 am

i have something interesting on this, dont know if i would say the game is rigged....However this is a computer driven dice game, can it effectively do randomness ?......for example i listen to spotify and i have a folder with 250 songs that i put on random. I can honestly say that it does not play these songs randomly in my opinion. I hear the same set of songs in a row much much too often (3 of the same songs in a row), the odds of this happening is off the charts, yet i have heard it happen 3 times in a row in a month....I wonder if a computer can truly be random.

coyote303

PostSun Jan 24, 2021 5:01 pm

....I wonder if a computer can truly be random.

Well yes and no. In fact, even a set of three dice cannot be "truly" random since dice aren't perfectly made they will ever-so-slightly favor one side or another. With most (well made) dice, the amount of bias is insignificant.

Similarly, to my knowledge, computers also can't make simulated dice rolls 100 percent random. However, they have improved over the years where they are even better than physical dice. Any bias is insignificant as to be immeasurable. Of course, if the programming is weak as apparently in the case of Spotify, this isn't true. However, in their case true randomness (or as close as you can get to it) isn't that important.* You can bet SOM has a good random number generator.

*This isn't necessarily a bad thing for a music program. If it were truly random, you might get the same song playing in a row or just a song or two apart. They might have a sequence of numbers they use to simulate randomness so this doesn't happen, which would also explain getting the same sequence of songs. I am just guessing however.

Glennpicone

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Hey Dan,
Thanks for posting your thoughts on how this game works. I have had the same thoughts and concerns since I have played the board game since 1967 and with statistically designed player cards and random dice outcomes the 1962 Mets will never beat the 1927 Yanks over the course of a 162 game season...ever! And let in this computer version of SOM the most ridiculous teams that I have ever seen not only win the championship, they run away with it from the get go.
True, if every team is an all-star team then anyone should be able to win but the outcome should be close and always in doubt up to the very end so...
Can anyone explain to me how the SOM algorithm (or Hal) actually works? My most recent team was 17 games over .500 at game #81 and has gone 11-31 since or 20 games under .500 with the same team and in the same league with no major injuries and no major changes made by any of the other teams in my league or division. Is that even possible in a random dice based statistic driven game? I've only had 19 teams so far but this is driving me crazy. Is this game just screwing with us???
I even copied a team that beat me with 102 wins in an earlier season and entered it into a different league of my own and as I suspected I have only 68 wins with 24 games to play. Of course I could win the next 24 games in a row (not) and I would still fall 10 games behind my former opponents output. This cannot happen in the board game... because it's in the cards! If the 62 SOM Mets played in a league with 11 other 62 SOM Mets teams not one would or could ever win 102 games randomly and Likewise the 1927 SOM Yanks could not man handle a league of 1927 SOM Yankees teams...unless one of them is playing in the Hellfreezesover2021 stadium... I suppose?
Any thoughts or game based knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all the rest of the way.
-Toms River Grays

STEVE F

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 8:22 pm

LMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Previous

Return to General Strategy