windows baseball game questions...

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bigbruce327

windows baseball game questions...

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 6:09 pm

I have been playing the strat baseball board game for 50 years. I am wanting to buy the windows baseball game now. I am not a tech guy and no little about computers. Is it very hard to set up at baseball season on windows? Do I need to buy a certain set to get started, then add on teams or seasons later? How does that work? I have windows 10. Does the downloading take up much space on the computer? I don't want to slow that down if I do this. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

BigBruce327

coyote303

Re: windows baseball game questions...

PostWed Nov 11, 2020 11:44 pm

There are pros and cons to the WIndows game.

https://www.strat-o-matic.com/product/s ... ball-2020/

You get the 2019 season, and you can always add more seasons now or later. Be sure to get the card image option.

Pros:
eliminates misreading card results and errors in gameplay
keeps complete stats automatically
makes it easy to replay an entire league by having the game autoplay all games except ones your team is playing
It doesn't require a lot of space on your computer, and a basic computer will run the game fine
It has maximum rules not available in the board game that increase realism (although a couple of the maximum rules are pretty lame, so choose carefully)

Cons:
Its interface is clunky and takes getting used to
Setting up custom leagues is possible but complicated
The "Quick Start" guide is 20 pages long!
The copy protection is draconian; you can only activate your game on one computer at a time

The game now finally gives you color pictures of the stadiums (they used to be black and white). However, if you want the high-resolution pictures of stadiums, you have to pay (a lot) more.

I can't imagine playing a league or replay with cards and dice anymore, so I do recommend the Windows version. However, be aware if you want to do anything besides play individual (non-league) games or replay a league without modifications, it can get real complicated.

bigbruce327

PostThu Nov 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Thanks Coyote for the info. My intention is to play solo. Do you have to buy the 2019 season to get started for some reason? or can you buy another earlier year to get started? Like 1969 lets say...or is that an add on to a more recent year like 2019?

coyote303

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 6:12 pm

I'm pretty certain you have to buy the current season; no other option is listed on their website. You could wait until next March and get the 2020 season instead. Also bad: The additional seasons are not cheap, running around $27 each.

Whatever you do, get the card image option. Otherwise, you won't get to see the cards onscreen and see the dice rolls. You would only get the result of each at bat, not knowing how it was derived. And, you can't add the card image option later.

The link in my original reply will take you right to the web page for the Windows game.

Return to General Strategy