Ballpark Ridiculousness

the official tournament of SOM Baseball 20xx

Moderators: Palmtana, mighty moose

• Author

Radagast Brown

Ballpark Ridiculousness

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 4:38 pm

I have always thought the rules regarding ballparks is utterly ridiculous. I am obviously not challenging the rule, simply trying to understand the logic behind it?

Here's the thing, there are more than a dozen bomber HR parks (1-11 or better for both sides). So the people who build power teams NEVER HAVE TO CHANGE THEIR STRATEGY.

However people who play small ball, or like pitching teams with pitcher's parks only have a handful of stadiums to choose from. There just isn't any legitimate (fair) logic behind it!

What am I missing? What is the motivation behind this rule, and does the rule SATISFY THE MOTIVE?

Does anyone want to take a crack at trying to explain this?... I won't hold my breath, since I am usually ignored.

mastermosser56

Re: Ballpark Ridiculousness

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 5:06 pm

its sucks, could not agree more.

but when I say the things you did I get crushed for complaining and whining like a baby

there are dozens of decisions we long strat players (going back to sporting news days) are perplexed by, but when we bring it up, here come the vocal few strat brats to defend their minority positions that strat feels the need to please.

J-Pav

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 6:25 pm

Regarding ballparks...

The “tour” has been active for a very long time. Like most things, change comes very slowly and with a great degree of difficulty. I’m sure what started out as the good intention of making managers compete in different ballparks to show that they could win in any setting may or may not be as relevant in 2020 as it was in 2002.

I had to argue for several seasons to win the support to get rid of “bonus points”, which to this day I never understood the reason for. Change comes painfully slow, even good change.

My suggestion, is that if/when Commish MBW does a tour debriefing thread, bring up the topic and let the community weigh in. Or just start your own thread and make your case. If you can’t win over a few good managers to agree with you, the status quo will hold (however right or wrong it may appear to you on a personal level).

Gilbo

PostSat Nov 07, 2020 8:52 pm

I think changing Ballparks only makes sense. We are using the Parks from MLB with a rating attached. No one is making up their own parks and saying "I'll make it 20 for Hrs and 1 for hits".
Obviously MLB Teams are choosing to build more Home Run friendly Parks and players are bigger and stronger than ever. I do agree with you in many ways - I don't like the trend of Absolute Outcomes or whatever they call it when they count ABs of HRs, Ks & BBs. I like small ball teams too with good fielding, defense and Pitching, but that's not the way MLB is being played as much.
So if we are going to use Current MLB Players it only makes sense that we use current Major League Parks. The game has changed and this is what we get. We don't have to like it, but I don't see how it is unfair. We all have access to the same parks and can build our teams to fit them. If the style we like is not the way it is played then we either adjust to the times or get left behind...

toshiro

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 am

Maybe break them ballparks into "zones", where you have to play in each zone -- 1. Pitchers 2. Midland 3. Hitters and then let the players pick the others. Possible option of "cannot pick 3 zones total of one type".

It'd prob be best if we didn't get into too many rules/details for the tourney but this might be a way to satisfy the idea of best players "who can play across any ballpark"

STEVENSTEFFANNI

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Strat baseball is a softball game...batters will over achieve more than pitchers...small ball and good pitching will have a hard time competting from what ive seen

jsanders3rd

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 3:59 pm

I think what your observing is more about the current state of MLB than Strat having a agenda.

Strat is simply probabilities. Juiced balls and everybody swinging for the fences is whats making the league about power.

I like the changeup in stadiums personally, mixes things up. Otherwise you would have people choosing the same stadium everytime.

John

J-Pav

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 6:04 pm

If you have three tour managers with equally successful records, and one played in AT&T five times, one played in Coors five times and one played in five unique ballparks, which of the three managers demonstrated more ability?

I’m guessing most managers in the community would agree on the manager who played successfully in five unique ballparks. I would guess this because the tour has been going on for over EIGHTEEN years and it has been discussed pretty thoroughly. What happens when you have the last ballpark pick and your eleven favorite stadiums were picked ahead of you? Do you start a thread about how having unique ballparks is ridiculous too? Yeesh.

mcsoupy

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 8:28 am

I would like to complain about the ridiculousness of using the word “yeesh”... lol

J-Pav

PostMon Nov 09, 2020 10:18 am

:lol:
Next

Return to --- Player's Championship