D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

fredpaii

Re: D2D trash talk and draft comments thread

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 11:04 am

Here's my idea on how to proceed.

1. Begin season two now

2. Two weeks into MLB season we start the Supp Draft.

A) When your turn comes up in Supp Draft we cut a player and then we select one. That simple. This gives us all of our players as we are playing season two.

dc irish

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm

fredpaii wrote:Here's my idea on how to proceed.

1. Begin season two now

2. Two weeks into MLB season we start the Supp Draft.

A) When your turn comes up in Supp Draft we cut a player and then we select one. That simple. This gives us all of our players as we are playing season two.

I'm fine with Fred's approach here.

I do strongly suggest that if there are ANY changes that we propose those and vote on them in the next two weeks. Once the season starts it is inevitable that rule changes could be proposed that will create a self-interest in how the rules are voted on. Right now, and until the season starts, we have the benefit of ignorance of knowing how a lot of things will affect our rosters. It is a certainty that 2020 is going to be goofy, and we should get any rule/league changes voted on now vs. later.

With that preamble, I would move that for 2021 rosters all teams are allowed one additional roster space for an "OPTOUT" spot. "OPTOUT" defined as a player who is currently on a D2D roster and who does not play in 2020 by virtue of "opting out" (so this would EXCLUDE any player currently non-rostered who is sitting this year). This current list of players who would qualify for this include David Price, Michael Kopech, Buster Posey, etc... I suspect more will be coming, and I read rumors that Trout was thinking about it, though I suspect that's unlikely.

I would also move that no prospects need to be cut or promoted in 2021 and, for 2021, the maximum prospects team can carry is upped by 4. This is meant to allow for the cancellation of minor league ball. In 2022, both 2019 and 2020 draft picks would have to be promoted or cut, and the maximum amount of prospects a team could carry would go back down to normal.

Those are really the only two changes I think we need for Strat right now. The rest of it is pretty much in the hands of variables and outcomes that we really can't project, nor should we try to counter after the fact. I think it's going to be super weird AND super-fun from a strat prospective, kinda like a whole league of "unleashed" players.

dcirish

mlbphan

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 8:47 pm

With that preamble, I would move that for 2021 rosters all teams are allowed one additional roster space for an "OPTOUT" spot. "OPTOUT" defined as a player who is currently on a D2D roster and who does not play in 2020 by virtue of "opting out" (so this would EXCLUDE any player currently non-rostered who is sitting this year). This current list of players who would qualify for this include David Price, Michael Kopech, Buster Posey, etc... I suspect more will be coming, and I read rumors that Trout was thinking about it, though I suspect that's unlikely.

I would also move that no prospects need to be cut or promoted in 2021 and, for 2021, the maximum prospects team can carry is upped by 4. This is meant to allow for the cancellation of minor league ball. In 2022, both 2019 and 2020 draft picks would have to be promoted or cut, and the maximum amount of prospects a team could carry would go back down to normal.

Those are really the only two changes I think we need for Strat right now. The rest of it is pretty much in the hands of variables and outcomes that we really can't project, nor should we try to counter after the fact. I think it's going to be super weird AND super-fun from a strat prospective, kinda like a whole league of "unleashed" players.

dcirish

well thought out & I really like your ideas proposed here.

RickP
mlbphan

Paul_Long71

PostMon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 pm

I like the idea of having 1 "optout" spot for the upcoming season... don't know if we even need to vote on that as that could fall under commissioner's purview. As for the prospects, I think the main issue is that we need to extend an extra year to each of them so their time clock doesn't go off early. We could vote on upping the maximum amount kept but please send me a detailed proposal of how and for how long so I can send it out for a vote. I am inclined to simply add 1 year to each of the current prospects...in other words if you have Joe Blow '19 I will simply switch him to Joe Blow '20 on the rosters... does that seem prudent?

next.... do we want to stick to a 3-round supplemental draft? If so, when?

please add your thoughts.....

Eddie E

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 5:21 pm

1 opt out sounds good. Adding one year to all prospects sounds great. Prefer no supplemental draft but that has already been hashed out so the fewer the better.

Roscodog

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 pm

Adding one year to all prospects makes perfectly good sense, I have implemented that in another league already.
The normal max prospect rule is just expanded for 1 season to accommodate any new prospects drafted. (But not so guys can add extra Prospects or picks over and above what they already have).

The opt outs have to be expanded as well or something else thought of. If one team had 10 guys opt out and another team only has 1 or doesn’t have any it hardly seems fair.

Terry101

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Roscodog wrote:Adding one year to all prospects makes perfectly good sense, I have implemented that in another league already.
The normal max prospect rule is just expanded for 1 season to accommodate any new prospects drafted. (But not so guys can add extra Prospects or picks over and above what they already have).

The opt outs have to be expanded as well or something else thought of. If one team had 10 guys opt out and another team only has 1 or doesn’t have any it hardly seems fair.

Adding one year to prospects- Yes- good idea

Opt outs should be expanded- maybe a max of three?

mlbphan

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 8:45 pm

I would still like to have a supplemental draft & it wouldn’t matter to me whether it was now or after the actual season has started. Whatever the league decides I’m good with.

Rick
mlbphan

fredpaii

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Roscodog wrote:Adding one year to all prospects makes perfectly good sense, I have implemented that in another league already.

I would also endorse a policy of not being able to draft a known opt out player in the Supp Draft. While being in favor of having as many opt outs as there are actual full season (what there is of it) opt outs on all of our team's. This would be determined by the Commish. Or at least last word would be the Commish's for establishing which players are opt-out eligible.

dc irish

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 11:26 pm

My rule change regarding the opt out and opinion therein remains as presented. The one spot recognizes the issue, nothing more, and gives some coverage to teams. If one team had 10 guys opt out (unlikely) to me it's the same as if a team had 10 guys get injured in Spring Training and not play that year (or PED ban, etc...). Bad luck happens all the time. At the present suggestion of one player I don't believe any team currently has more than 1 who has announced, and there really haven't been that many. If it's more then managers have to make some tougher choices on roster construction next year. I say this with already having one player who has opted out, and having a roster that I would like to keep as intact as possible. If more announce from my squad I'll deal with it. Might present some interesting trades for the second half of the season if that situation did occur...

I also think this replicates real-baseball more closely. Certainly there will be some MLB teams with several opters and some with none. I prefer league rules that mimic the real thing as closely as possible.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat