Setting maximum plate appearances

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

spokanespokes

Setting maximum plate appearances

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Long time card player (going back to 1969 season) but somewhat new to the on-line game. We've got a draft coming up for the 2019 season and I'm seeing uniquely high salary numbers for players who played a small number of games. For instance, Will Smith, with only 188 plate appearances has a $7M price tag. Is there any way to control this and put caps on the number of Plate Appearances based on the real world numbers? Dustin Garneau, another example at catcher, had 96 plate appearances, yet I can see someone in our 12 man league draft him and get 3 to 400 at bats out of him. Am I missing a setting in the system?

jjii66

Re: Setting maximum plate appearances

PostMon Jul 06, 2020 12:38 pm

You have to change your way of thinking a bit with 365 versus the board game. In your mind, using Smith for a full season is unrealistic and unfair... but in this game, that's what you're supposed to do. And that's precisely why he costs 7 million dollars. If your league made a rule limiting him to 188 PA, no one in their right mind would pay that much for him... he'd be un-draftable. So when you're evaluating the cards, just remember that the salaries are based on unlimited usage.

spokanespokes

PostTue Jul 07, 2020 1:25 pm

Thanks for the response JJII66. So I'm interpreting from your answer is that there is no way to control this, other than manually doing it our selves. Sort of sucks that a September call up in real baseball with less than 100 PAs can wind up as a league MVP, but Strat-O-Matic was always filled with loopholes. thanks again.

coyote303

PostWed Jul 08, 2020 1:11 am

I just want to confirm what jjii66 said because it is so important. SOM 365 isn't about replays; it's about winning. And the way to win is to use the best player you have at your disposal.

The only consideration his plate appearances have is how long he can be injured (<600 AB+BB up to 15; 600-679 up to 3; 680+ 0).

Return to Wish List, Suggestions for SOM