Barnstormers 2020 - expanded Semi-Finals now with Prizes

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

Chompsky

Re: Barnstormers 2020 - expanded Semi-Finals now with Prizes

PostSat May 23, 2020 7:35 am

Just happy for the tourney. As was said, earlier in the thread:

"Playoffs? Don't talk about—playoffs?! You kidding me? Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"
-Jim Mora

Appreciative of the BS volunteers. Thank you--this is pretty cool.

I know we all have feelings, some of them strong, about different things. As it should be in life. For me I have a sense of befuddlement. The metagame is wholly different now (especially for me, who relied so heavily on super-relieving in my approach), not just the prices. Among other things I am struggling with how to evaluate players. Just because they are cheaper than before doesn't mean they are a good fit for my team (or any team!). Just because they are more expensive doens't mean they aren't still an awesome fit.

So it has been, and continues to be, fascinating to (try to) relearn this game. Again, thanks to the BS crew.

Chompsky

mighty moose

PostSat May 23, 2020 12:38 pm

It should also be mentioned that SOM - DOES NOT dictate any part of our tour. Never has. WE decide every word, every section of the rules. Some people in email (when they are upset with a decision or a ruling - for example a penalty) tell me they are going to report me to SOM. - SOM doesn't care and wont get involved. If I say assign a penalty - they do it. If I say I want to change the wording of the rules, they do it.

Has the board ever influenced the tournament? All the time. I listen to their opinions and even their votes. We wouldn't have a 200 Mil event if it weren't for them overruling me. I still don't like the 200 Mil event but they outvoted me and that's why we still have it today. I was considering a 120 Mil event, they said NO. - I get their help all the time. Andy personally filtered all the new ATG9 stadiums into the groupings. We all know the massive amount of work Rick (Mr Baseball World) put into the Live Draft. The "choice" event was a suggestion that came from one of them. They are valuable allies and keep me from doing stupid things.

When you are sitting there at that MLB Stadium with your family after you have won the tournament, only then will you appreciate all the work and the time you put in to develop and manage your team to reap those rewards.

Dougess

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm

My thought on Barnstormer semi-final to final graduation:
I believe there should be some type of "reward" or "home field advantage" component for those managers who scored the most points through the first 6 rounds of the tournament. So, I propose a continuation of the points system to determine the final spots in the Barnstormers final. Of course, merely continuing the Barnstormer points into the semi-final round will give those outside the top 20 or so virtually no chance of advancing to the finals. Therefore, I suggest a reset of points equal to 1/5 of each semi-finals accumulated Barnstormer points earned through the Barnstormer "regular season". I chose 1/5 because of the 5 scores that count towards determining semi-final participants. I looked back for the prior 3 Barnstormers standings and this would give the managers who just missed the finals cutoff an approximate 15 point advantage over the managers who finished around 80th. Digging further using this method, an 80th place participant entering the semi-finals would have had to score 110-113 Barnstormer points (95-98 win team that wins a ring) in order to qualify for the finals. Also, the 2019 finals participants would have remained the same using this approach, while in 2018 and 2017 one manager (amazingly the same one - Outta Leftfield) would have benefited from the point reset advantage over managers whose semi-final teams won a ring while winning 85 games in the regular season (both these teams were in semi-final 2).
Feel free to hack away at this.

djmacb

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 4:49 pm

Dougess wrote:My thought on Barnstormer semi-final to final graduation:
I believe there should be some type of "reward" or "home field advantage" component for those managers who scored the most points through the first 6 rounds of the tournament. So, I propose a continuation of the points system to determine the final spots in the Barnstormers final. Of course, merely continuing the Barnstormer points into the semi-final round will give those outside the top 20 or so virtually no chance of advancing to the finals. Therefore, I suggest a reset of points equal to 1/5 of each semi-finals accumulated Barnstormer points earned through the Barnstormer "regular season". I chose 1/5 because of the 5 scores that count towards determining semi-final participants. I looked back for the prior 3 Barnstormers standings and this would give the managers who just missed the finals cutoff an approximate 15 point advantage over the managers who finished around 80th. Digging further using this method, an 80th place participant entering the semi-finals would have had to score 110-113 Barnstormer points (95-98 win team that wins a ring) in order to qualify for the finals. Also, the 2019 finals participants would have remained the same using this approach, while in 2018 and 2017 one manager (amazingly the same one - Outta Leftfield) would have benefited from the point reset advantage over managers whose semi-final teams won a ring while winning 85 games in the regular season (both these teams were in semi-final 2).
Feel free to hack away at this.

This or something similar is an excellent idea. The six qualifying leagues should count for something for finishers 10 - 81.

freeman

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 4:01 pm

I could be wrong...but I think the tournament set-up is locked in for 2020. Any discussion about changes basically wont be considered until 2021. But you can check with Mighty Moose on that.

Dougess

PostFri Jun 05, 2020 5:05 pm

freeman wrote:I could be wrong...but I think the tournament set-up is locked in for 2020. Any discussion about changes basically wont be considered until 2021. But you can check with Mighty Moose on that.

Yes, sorry for not making it clear. I would not expect any changes to what was announced for the current tour. My thought would apply to future years.
Previous

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour