Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

sociophil

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 11:54 am

BE IT PROPOSED TO REVISE THE ARBITRATION RULE from:

Section 9.10 ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to release the player, offer a contract extension, or to renew the player at the Major League Minimum Salary. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at the salary established for his SOMO card price for the following season. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league minimum salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

to

ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to release the player, offer a contract extension, or to renew the player at the Major League Minimum Salary. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at the salary established for his SOMO card price for the following season. If the player does not have a SOM card to settle the arbitration decision, the player is awarded the league minimum salary based on years of service (i.e. $2 mil for arb1, $3 mil for arb 2, etc). The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league minimum salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

I've taken the liberty of entering YES votes for those who expressed support for this revision. We need two more votes for the revision to pass.

If passed, the rule change will take effect immediately.

sociophil: YES (Proposer)
oldmansmith2: YES (Seconder)
Paul_Long71 --
dharmabums -- YES
paul j kiggins -- YES
srh1200 --
madal -- YES
teamnasty -- YES
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbr1 --
hveed --

Phil

srh1200

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:05 am

sociophil

Unread postSat Apr 25, 2020 11:54 am

Section 9.10 ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to release the player, offer a contract extension, or to renew the player at the Major League Minimum Salary. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at the salary established for his SOMO card price for the following season. The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league minimum salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

to

ARBITRATION: A player with an expiring contract who has more than 3 years and up to 6 years of service time qualifies for arbitration if the owner declines to release the player, offer a contract extension, or to renew the player at the Major League Minimum Salary. If the owner chooses arbitration the player will be renewed at the salary established for his SOMO card price for the following season. If the player does not have a SOM card to settle the arbitration decision, the player is awarded the league minimum salary based on years of service (i.e. $2 mil for arb1, $3 mil for arb 2, etc). The owner must decline to offer a contract extension prior to the release of the SOM card set for the upcoming season or the player will be automatically renewed for one year at their qualified major league minimum salary as determined in Sections 9.05 and 9.06 above.

I've taken the liberty of entering YES votes for those who expressed support for this revision. We need two more votes for the revision to pass.

Paul_Long71 --
dharmabums -- YES
paul j kiggins -- YES
srh1200 -- YES
madal -- YES
teamnasty -- YES
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbr1 --
hveed --

Phil

srh1200

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 8:07 am

sociophil

Unread postSat Apr 25, 2020 11:54 am

to

Paul_Long71 --
dharmabums -- YES
paul j kiggins -- YES
srh1200 -- YES
madal -- YES
teamnasty -- YES
chilliards --
baseball cfo --
mykbr1 --
hveed --

Phil

teamnasty

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 7:41 pm

Phil, a question about Rule 6.08, regulating injury replacements. Assume after our first series tonight one of my players gets injured for two games. Let's say Matt Chapman 3b.

I read your rule to mean that for the next series, games 4-6, I can keep Chapman on my active roster (since after all he becomes healthy and eligible to play game 6), but I can also "pick up" an injury replacement before games 4-6 to replace Chapman's active spot on the roster for games 4-5.

Given that Strat plays 3 games at a time and doesn't allow add/drops in the middle of a 3 game series, the effect of this is that for game 6 I'll have 27 active players. Right? But that's a consequence of the rule that we live with by its wording, yes? Otherwise nobody is eligible to replace Chapman for games 4-5 and I have to play short.

Then, I'm on my honor to drop Chapman's injury replacement before the next series involving games 7-9.

Have I read the rule correctly?

Thanks,
tn

sociophil

PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:13 pm

a question about Rule 6.08, regulating injury replacements. Assume after our first series tonight one of my players gets injured for two games. Let's say Matt Chapman 3b.

I read your rule to mean that for the next series, games 4-6, I can keep Chapman on my active roster (since after all he becomes healthy and eligible to play game 6), but I can also "pick up" an injury replacement before games 4-6 to replace Chapman's active spot on the roster for games 4-5.

Section 6.08    Injured players can be kept on a team's major league roster for the duration of their injury. Players promoted to the major league roster as injury replacements must be returned to the minor league roster once the injury has healed. There is a 2-game grace period to return injury replacement players to the minor league roster - this allows each owner to maintain a constant 26 man roster at all times. We will be using the honor system here - please don't keep players beyond their authorized time!

The two game grace period covers your question. You add the replacement before game 4, he plays for the series, and then you drop him. Chapman is on the IR for the series so to speak.

Phil

oldmansmith2

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 am

sociophil wrote:
a question about Rule 6.08, regulating injury replacements. Assume after our first series tonight one of my players gets injured for two games. Let's say Matt Chapman 3b.

Section 6.08    Injured players can be kept on a team's major league roster for the duration of their injury. Players promoted to the major league roster as injury replacements must be returned to the minor league roster once the injury has healed. There is a 2-game grace period to return injury replacement players to the minor league roster - this allows each owner to maintain a constant 26 man roster at all times. We will be using the honor system here - please don't keep players beyond their authorized time!

The two game grace period covers your question. You add the replacement before game 4, he plays for the series, and then you drop him. Chapman is on the IR for the series so to speak.

Phil

Just to clarify, with teamnasty's example Chapman is allowed to start game 6 correct? Even though he would have 27 players for that game it would be the same way for everybody and sort of even out over the course of the season. Is that the thinking on it?

Paul_Long71

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 2:01 am

I hope so. That's how it usually is. Otherwise you'd have to drop Chapman (and every injured player) when calling up a guy. I think that's why in the rules it says honor system.

Paul_Long71

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 2:13 am

Ouch I lost Scherzer for 30 games and Luke Weaver for 60 games tonight. tough on the new injury rule. I like the league being set up at 200M so that I can move these injured guys to inactive and replace easier. Still tough to replace 40% of the rotation and two $5+ mil guys. ouch.

sociophil

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:23 pm

Tough luck, but I like the realism of it. The reason I wanted to use the injury rules is it requires GMs to build depth in the organization, especially starting pitching. How many times have we seen our favorite teams reaching into the AAA squad for some sacrificial innings eater until our #1 or #2 guy gets healthy? I think a lot of us will be cursing the injury rules before long.

Paul_Long71

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 pm

yep, but ouch. Lost Hill tonight for 20 games. that's 60% of my 5-man rotation out for extended time.
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat