Moneyball Baseball League Chat

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

teamnasty

Re: Moneyball Baseball League Chat

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 8:57 pm

Looks like several teams need to do add or drops to get their league active rosters to 26, right Phil?

sociophil

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Looks like several teams need to do add or drops to get their league active rosters to 26, right Phil?

Yes, but not until next Monday. Sorry, I selected the seven day delay. My bad.

sociophil

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm editing and reorganizing the rules so that they are more clear. There are two outstanding rule issues that need to be settled eventually: (1) penalties for violating the salary cap, and (2) free agent bidding. I'd like to propose a new rule for salary cap violations. First let me say that the only way a team can exceed the salary cap is if they lose an arbitration. The rules prohibit a team from placing a bid on a free agent that would put them over the salary cap, and trade rules prevent teams from engaging in trades that force a team to exceed the cap, so the only way to exceed the cap is due to an unfavorable arbitration ruling. I therefore propose the following rule change:

Salary Cap Violation Rule: If a team exceeds the salary cap as the result of an unfavorable arbitration decision, the player whose arbitration decision caused the team to go over the cap is considered to be banned for the season for violations of league substance abuse policies. If more than one player is involved in the arbitration process that resulted in the salary cap violation, the team must get under the salary cap by identifying as few arbitration players as possible to get back into compliance. Each of those "Balco" players will be considered banned for the season. Banned players will remain on the team roster, but the team will not be permitted to participate in free agent signing periods or the prospect draft until they get back under the salary cap.

For example, Team A has spent $130 million in salary cap space before arbitration with three players up for arbitration this year. In a stroke of bad luck these three players are awarded $10 mil, $6 mil, and $4 mil. The team would be required to suspend the $10 mil player for the season as this would involve the suspension of the fewest number of players required to bring the team back into compliance with the salary cap.

Please provide comments and suggestions before I formally propose the rule change for a vote.

Phil

sociophil

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:11 am

It has come to my attention that the new arbitration rule, which determines next years salary based on the SOM card price, does not account for the possibility of an arbitration player not receiving a card and therefore not producing an arbitration decision. I have two possible revisions in mind to address this eventuality:

1. The players salary remains unchanged and is carried as if he were renewed at his current salary; or

2. The player is awarded the league minimum salary based on years of service (i.e. $2 mil for arb1, $3 mil for arb 2, etc).

Please give me your input.

Phil

teamnasty

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:28 am

I vote for number 2.

oldmansmith2

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:40 am

I vote #2. Really like the arb suggestion. It's a harsh penalty which is good imo. Let's stamp out the scourge of PEDs in our league!!

dharmabums

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 12:47 pm

I vote for #2. I also agree with the over-the-cap penalty suggestion.

paul j kiggins

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 8:26 pm

I vote for #2.

madal

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 10:29 pm

I vote for #2 for arbitration.

I like the salary cap violation rule. Questions:

1. If you end up over the cap, can you get under the cap by trading away players, not necessarily the "suspended" players?

2.Does it make a difference if the trade happens prior to the 1st season, during the first season, between season 1-2? There is a supplemental FA period between seasons.

3.Can you trade away the suspended player prior to season 1 and the player is eligible to play for the new team? How about during season 1? Between seasons?

I guess my suggestion/comment is to have some agreement/examples of when/how you get under the cap, the status of the "suspended" player(s) if traded, probably other details I'm missing.

sociophil

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:27 pm

Madal,

Good questions. If you could trade your way to a cap reduction that got you under $140, and the suspended player were traded to another team in which he is under the cap, then the suspension appeal is won by the player. Play ball!

Phil
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat