Are pitchers immune from playoff injuries?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

BDWard

Are pitchers immune from playoff injuries?

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:04 pm

This issue has bothered me for a while, so I thought I would post it here and get the opinion of the community.

I'm usually not one to pore over the box scores or play by play, but for some unknown reason I did it after the this game.

My team was in the semis of an ATG8 $110 mil DH league. It came back from down 3 games to 1 to force a game 7 on the road, which went into extra innings tied at 1. In the top of the 10th HAL brought in Joe Sambito to face my DH, Reggie Jackson. Jackson rolled 6-12, which when rolled by a DH should result in a pitcher injury, but nothing happened. No injury was noted in the play by play or box score and Sambito remained in the game another inning to face 3 more lefty batters, which he set down in order, before being pulled. The play by play is below:

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/play ... 441394/986

My team went on to lose in the 12th inning.

Over the years my teams have been involved in more than 2,300 playoff games. After thinking about it, I could not recall a single instance of a pitcher getting injured in the playoffs.

So how about it folks, are pitchers in the playoffs immune from injury?

egvrich

Re: Are pitchers immune from playoff injuries?

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:15 pm

Nope, here's a case of Pedro getting injured in the semis (not my team, but found it in the first league I checked).

https://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/l ... am/1533114

BDWard

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:50 pm

egvrich wrote:Nope, here's a case of Pedro getting injured in the semis (not my team, but found it in the first league I checked).

Rich, thanks for your response. I can't tell from the link in your post whether Pedro was injured during the playoffs or the injury occurred prior to the playoffs and carried over into the playoffs, though I strongly suspect it was the latter.

Just to make my question clear, can an injury occur to a pitcher during a playoff game? As I said in my earlier post, I don't ever recall seeing such occur, and believe me, with my well known contempt for the super reliever loophole, and having seen a plethora of super relievers in the playoffs, I've been waiting for a super reliever to bite the dust in a playoff game, so I'd remember if it happened. So far, I've never seen it happen.

gkhd11a

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:56 pm

BDWard wrote:
egvrich wrote:Nope, here's a case of Pedro getting injured in the semis (not my team, but found it in the first league I checked).

Rich, thanks for your response. I can't tell from the link in your post whether Pedro was injured during the playoffs or the injury occurred prior to the playoffs and carried over into the playoffs, though I strongly suspect it was the latter.

Just to make my question clear, can an injury occur to a pitcher during a playoff game? As I said in my earlier post, I don't ever recall seeing such occur, and believe me, with my well known contempt for the super reliever loophole, and having seen a plethora of super relievers in the playoffs, I've been waiting for a super reliever to bite the dust in a playoff game, so I'd remember if it happened. So far, I've never seen it happen.

The links shows he was injured DURING WHICH GAME: Semi Finals Game 2
Martinez, Pedro (1999) P - 8.12M Semi-Finals Game 2 2 additional days

BDWard

PostFri Feb 14, 2020 6:23 pm

gkhd11a wrote:

Oh, thanks, Charlie, you're right. I stand corrected.

But, since it has now been easily and quickly established that pitchers can get injured during playoff games, why wasn't Sambito injured during my semis game when the DH rolled 6-12?

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 am

I recently had had Arroyo get injured for the max and was out until game 2 of the finals. As for Sambito the result of the injury was just for the remainder of the game. My recollection from the board game that the range of injuries was from remainder of the game [minimum] to 14 games [max]

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:10 am

I recently had had Arroyo get injured for the max and was out until game 2 of the finals. As for Sambito the result of the injury was just for the remainder of the game. My recollection from the board game that the range of injuries was from remainder of the game [minimum] to 14 games [max]

gkhd11a

PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 am

BDWard wrote:
gkhd11a wrote:

Oh, thanks, Charlie, you're right. I stand corrected.

But, since it has now been easily and quickly established that pitchers can get injured during playoff games, why wasn't Sambito injured during my semis game when the DH rolled 6-12?

Must have rolled a 1 or 2 on the 20 roll dice and stayed in game.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats