ATG9 Salaries - Third basemen

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

STEVE F

Re: ATG9 Salaries - Third basemen

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 2:38 pm

My question is , if we lowered all these hitter salaries, wouldn't this make pitching (which is already terrible) even WORSE?

RiggoDrill

PostSat Dec 07, 2019 6:24 pm

First, I view pitcher salaries as a separate question entirely.

Although the average batter salary would drop, it might actually "feel" like batters were more expensive. This is because while, in general, salaries are too high, there are a significant number of very under-priced cards that are cherry-picked by experienced managers.

For example, at 5.88M, you would be much more likely to use '53 Larry Doby (currently 6.80M), however, you would no longer be able to purchase '58 Richie Ashburn for 4.86M. (his price would go up to 5.89M).

For experienced managers, batter salaries seem low because they only use a very limited sub-set of players.

nomadbrad

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

I for one don't see a reason to re-price the set based on one or two owners evaluation of the cards via spreadsheets....I have played in MORE ATG 8 leagues than probably anybody....over 650 leagues and my success rate suggests I understand the bargain values as well as anybody....Riggo and Jet can reprice however they want, I will still find the bargains and the game will continue to lack interest and excitement as it has the past 3 years (ATG8 came out July 4th weekend 2015....4 1/2 years ago now) and the pricing is a farce....but I think the communities usage should dictate pricing, not a spread sheet.

What I would like to see is a re-pricing based on usage. SOM decides players used 90%+ of the time their salary goes ups between .15 cent to maybe $1.00 or so. Players that get used 80-90%of the time goes up 5 to 50 cents, etc...players used less than 50% of the time goes down by "x" amount and so on....I would like to see the set re-priced once every year and the community decides where the bargains lie after re-pricing and the next year the set gets re-priced based on the new usage....This way the community decides value through usage, not some funky black box spread-sheet created in a suspect manner.

nomadbrad

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm

STEVE F wrote:My question is , if we lowered all these hitter salaries, wouldn't this make pitching (which is already terrible) even WORSE?

EXACTLY Steve

The Last Druid

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Brad: Pretty sure ATG came out July, 2014, not 2015.

I don't see usage based pricing ever being enacted unless someone in the community writes the code and presents it to SOM gratis and on a silver platter.

In the meantime though, repricing should certainly happen, via whatever mechanism, just to redress the situation where certain otherwise obscure cards seem to find their way into every 100M or less league and many cards just never get used. Pricing should, ideally, be such that every card in the set has enough value to potentially be used by someone.

Bunze0

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 1:04 am

Amen Druid.

freeman

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 8:02 pm

A static value for a card is an illusion. Ballpark affects of course (you can never come up with a static value that represents all ballparks)..but also positional scarcity, statistical scarcity (outlier stats) placement in the line-up, extreme splits, and-- very importantly--the ability of the card to combine with other cards to form strategies to increase the value of a card. No card is an island...entirely of itself.

Of course you have to have some way of determining the dollar value of players, but I don't think you are going to ever be able to get a final fixed number on a player and I think you are probably always to going to have a bunch of cards that are not used much.

egvrich

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:45 am

As unlikely as it may be that Strat implements it, I've been saying for some time now that player usage should dictate pricing. It's like betting lines in Vegas, the action dictates the line. It should be the same way here.

Ultimately usage based pricing would balance the prices out to the point that the cost/benefit would be "equal" for all players.

And perhaps they should consider something below 50 cents for the minimum price, because there are hundreds of players in the set who will never be on a roster. So either drop their price or get rid of them all together. Bud Weiser is a classic example of a player who has probably never been on a roster in the thousands of leagues played.

eveldrive

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:41 am

egvrich wrote:Bud Weiser is a classic example of a player who has probably never been on a roster in the thousands of leagues played.

He's there for you, only if you need a "cold one"

Hittmens

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 am

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1527308

Nice year out of Bud Weiser
and 78 innings out of Lefty Russell you don't see that everyday
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats