Is Strat-o-Matic ATG over?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

FrankieT

Re: Is Strat-o-Matic ATG over?

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 pm

Well said.
I have only been with the online game since 2003, but I have gradually moved from the other games to only doing the ATG tour after a couple years' break, because of some of the things mentioned.

You can't run a business without having a continual understanding of what your customers want. Well, not for long.

But even without that, why is there no effort to optimize revenue? They should be more motivated to clear out open leagues than frustrated players are--because when they stall they make no money. Stuff like that makes no sense. Do they want us all playing traditional tabletop strato? So many interesting things could be done--they have the market at their disposal. And they're disposing of it.

I would gladly spend more if the product were being cared for. But it is too hard to fill a legitimate league, too annoying to continually fight over the same cards to achieve predictable results and advantages, and meaningless to play games like 200M caps for cards that were not priced for that scenario.

And btw--I would have tried the football product, but baseball is becoming enough of a drag.

FrankieT

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 9:00 pm

Well I guess someone has been asking for the lineup feature.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=646491

I guess that's the point--ATG gets no love as all the attention goes to 20xx

Salty

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm

tersignf wrote:Well I guess someone has been asking for the lineup feature.

so damned frustrating and unnecessary
whats worse is that we keep getting line up improvements but no ability to do better with pitching --
like there is some sort of problem with not enough hitting

and even more silly is the fact that the Rs or Ls matter less depending on stadium etc.
its just as silly as the base runner rating of AA, A, B etc that aren't used in the online game at all.

FrankieT

PostTue Oct 29, 2019 11:09 pm

Salty wrote:
tersignf wrote:Well I guess someone has been asking for the lineup feature.

so damned frustrating and unnecessary
whats worse is that we keep getting line up improvements but no ability to do better with pitching --
like there is some sort of problem with not enough hitting

and even more silly is the fact that the Rs or Ls matter less depending on stadium etc.
its just as silly as the base runner rating of AA, A, B etc that aren't used in the online game at all.

Precisely

visick

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 1:20 pm

In Strat's defense...

I believe, 1 person asked for the new lineup feature and
1 person asked for the new and exciting Enemies card set. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Despite the need for several more important needs that the community wants,
Strat decided that they reside in Bizarro world, and they do the opposite.

Kinda like that Seinfeld episode, where George does the opposite.

FrankieT

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 4:31 pm

:mrgreen:

bkeat23

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 pm

"Kinda like that Seinfeld episode, where George does the opposite."

In no way would being able to set different levels of stolen base aggressiveness for 2nd, 3rd, and home?
Who cares if the game ends on a failed double steal with the last out at home? :D

FrankieT

PostWed Oct 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Haha!
But you are so ungrateful. I mean, you can set a different lineup for a 3R vs a 2R. That's hype...said one person, ever.

Not to mention, who really uses those balance ratings that finely anyway? It is another add-on to the online game that is meaningless and not in the actual cards that are produced. I realize it is used for pricing to a degree, but they are only a quick glance for a player. Depends on park and role. Still have to do the basic card analysis. in fact, they should remove that stupid balance indicator. it's as meaningless as the basic game steal ratings

egvrich

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 7:02 am

Chompsky wrote:Every game has its ups and downs, this one included.

It's still a blast for me, when I am able to find the time to play.

A lot of the game's upsides and/or decline have to do with the company, but some of it has to do with us--the players.
Although it may be a small thing--I think friendly chatter during a league can be one factor in increasing the likelihood of players coming back.

Our lives can be so isolating nowadays, so stressful, that some friendly banter can make all the difference.

Chompsky

Chomp,

I have been in many a league recently where there is not a single league wide message the entire season. Not one message in 60-70 total days between autodraft and Finals. I think that says it all.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes it's 24-48 hours between posts on these boards which used to be a non-stop stream of posts and responses and chatter.

Rich

Chompsky

PostThu Oct 31, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi Rich,

Always good to hear from you. Although I am still smarting from the beating you were serving out the last time we were in a league together.

The lack of chatter can't be blamed on the game owners and staff. They deserve to get the blame they do on other matters.

Deafening silence during a league is a reflection of societal trends. But guess what? The remedy is pretty easy.

Simply saying good luck in a league post is a start. Complaining about your bad luck can be a chatter starter, too.
Commenting on other team(s) success often gets a response.

Even if the game is in decline, there is a lot to enjoy--the primary thing being each other.

Chompsky
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats