Bar graphs at bottom of cards

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

tdkearns

Bar graphs at bottom of cards

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 6:19 pm

I searched “bar graphs” to learn more about how the graphs are calculated and I see different information.
Specifically, How are ballpark home run effects calculated? I see some old posts that the graphs are calculate at 0,0,0,0.
I see more recent posts that seem to say otherwise.
I was not a SOM player using the cards. Only the PC game and now som 365. So I rely on the graphs.

STEVE F

Re: Bar graphs at bottom of cards

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 11:02 pm

The bars represent the cards as if ballpark effects were not being used at all

tdkearns

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 4:22 pm

But I found this from 2016:

edwardneal63
Re: Strat, you've gotta fix this
PostWed Sep 19, 2018 11:31 pm

Sounds like something is definitely wrong.

Garcia's blog some time ago mentioned trying to include to some degree the #s and >s.

"Garcia's Blog 6/23/16- Bar Charts
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Hey guys,

This will be a very quick update today as I'm away this week but as of this afternoon we have improved the bar charts on every player card to more accurately reflect ballpark chances.

Previously any reading with a ballpark chance was just ignored. This was causing some players to show on-base and power numbers to be extremely low compared to their actual value.

Now, the bar charts will count the reading that will be replaced by the ballpark chance. For example, on Mickey Mantle's 1956 card (shown here), 2-8 and 2-10 vs LHP will now count as HR 1-8. This adds 3.2 more HR chances to that side of the card.

While this is still not entirely accurate, we feel this is a much better representation of the player rather than just ignoring those readings entirely and counting them as outs.

Any questions please let us know at 365support@strat-o-matic.com. I will have a much more robust blog next week. Talk to everyone then!

-John"

STEVE F

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 4:36 pm

Exactly. And it agrees with what I just wrote. Read the results on the card, and ignore the ballpark symbols. This is the same thing as playing without park effects (and clutch), which you have the option of doing if you're playing the windows version of the game

milleram

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 3:57 pm

I think they have gone trough 3 stages in the bar graphs. They have only been around for the last 3 seasons or so.

At first they added a set amount of BP chances, some what equivalent to an average park.

Next, they didn't factor in BP chances al all --- then last season they went to the cards as STEVE F describes, the printed card not using BP effects.

One thing I would like to add is: they don't add in HBP--so any guys that get HBP often--be sure to factor that in as extra OB that is not shown on the graph --some guys have 6 or more HBP--it adds up. (you can picture them as added walks on the graph)

coyote303

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 4:00 pm

I have never once used the bar graphs to evaluate a card. I simply count the chances. However, if others find them useful, I guess they are a good thing!

Return to General Strategy