Dumping players will get you in big trouble.

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

mighty moose

Re: Dumping players will get you in big trouble.

PostThu Jun 07, 2018 12:55 pm

This has happened again in Barnstormers 2018. A team was taken over as a massively out of whack division is now on display. It's not something I like to do, to make a decision to have SOM take over a team but complaints from others in the league forced action to be taken. As I said, a pattern of dropping players will generally WORSEN the chances of a team getting better.

If you just look at the top 20 players in the Barnstormers standings, you wont find anyone with a sizable drop in overall team net worth, or more than 1 or 2 player changes. It's just not the mark of a top player.

I'll try to flag this post and mention it in the next general league loading announcement.

mighty moose

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 pm

I've notified the player and I will also ask SOM to take a look. This is surprising from such a long term Barnstormers player.

mighty moose

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm

SOM and I have looked at this and discussed it at considerable length. We are in agreement that this is detrimental to the league and this team, we have decided to reverse the transactions. Normally, we would also have SOM assume ownership of the team. In this case, this is a loyal Barnstormers player and this is his 6th consecutive year playing the event. We will allow him to keep ownership this one time. But if we see any more dropping of team value during this season, I will not hesitate to remove him from control of his team. SOM will reverse the most current drops.

STEVE F

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 2:58 pm

mighty moose wrote:SOM and I have looked at this and discussed it at considerable length. We are in agreement that this is detrimental to the league and this team, we have decided to reverse the transactions. Normally, we would also have SOM assume ownership of the team. In this case, this is a loyal Barnstormers player and this is his 6th consecutive year playing the event. We will allow him to keep ownership this one time. But if we see any more dropping of team value during this season, I will not hesitate to remove him from control of his team. SOM will bring the value back to at least 95 Mil and the player will be warned of future consequences.

Can I have my transactions removed as well? I'm in his division , and reacted to his moves. No, I don't expect that to happen. But when the division made itself less vulnerable to Seaver, I figured well, go with a cheaper backward lefty and improve the offense. It still might be the right move; we shall see.

FrankieT

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 11:51 am

That's an interesting second order effect.

I think it also illustrates the ineffectiveness of trying to ensure "good" competition.

After all, someone can draft a horrible team (and some do) for their situation, still be at the proper valuation, and still upset the balance of competition through bad choices. Should we reverse poorly constructed teams who play at a .350 winning % ? This is what causes a lack of parity--which, after all, is what we all seek anyway in trying to win. Nobody strives to win their division or league with an 81-81 mark, by tiebreak.

The concern is appreciated, but I have to say if I ever had transactions reversed or similar, I would easily be finding other ways to spend discretionary $. And no--have not done it to this extent and I am not familiar with this league, just an observation.

mighty moose

PostSat Aug 03, 2019 3:48 pm

What I am hoping to pass on to those who read this and to the player in question, is that no top 20 Barnstormers player makes changes during the course of the season that reduces overall salary for their team. One, maybe two changes - maximum only during the 5% penalty phase of a 5-10-20% but is more likely to tweak lineups and settings. If you think dropping a 6 Mil player and getting a 5.5 Mil player in return will perform BETTER than what you had, you would be dead wrong.

The player in question here has a long history of being addicted to roster changes. Never less than 10, often up to 25 players dropped per team. He has played his 6 years on the Barnstormers tour with little success, never venturing close to winning a spot in the Semi-Finals. You need to place in Top 50 or so - his finishes over the last 6 years - 138-122-125-130-143- and this year so far, below 140th place.

There is a DIRCT correlation of dropping salary and dropping down and down in the standings. I hope we can get that across here. There are more people on the Barnstormers Tour that play the game this way. And I guess that's how this thread got started.

FrankieT

PostSun Aug 04, 2019 9:42 am

Hopefully my comment wasn't misconstrued as condoning or allowing. I just think there is a simpler solution--especially if there is a historical addiction as it was put--no privilege of competing in Barnstormers.
First time--done.
Now if someone wants to waste their credit on violating SOM's terms of use, it's up to SOM whether to boot them from the site.

I think wasting the board's time taking over a team and allowing them to play again, especially for a repeat offender, is too much overhead to put into it.

Cheers

mighty moose

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 3:50 am

Bumping back up, this thread needs to be noticed especially for new players.

pacoboy

PostSat May 07, 2022 2:46 pm

How about BS trades? Event 1, League 1, the guy 26 games out trades BABE RUTH to the guy in first in HIS OWN DIVISION well past the half way mark.

"newbie" to a "prospect"

Can't happen

west coast megaquakes traded:
Murray, Dale (1974) ($7,730,000)
Betts, Mookie (2018) ($11,410,000)

to Lexington Minutemen for:
Quisenberry, Dan (1983) ($5,630,000)
Ruth, Babe (1920) ($13,530,000)

XHowser Jr.

PostSat May 07, 2022 4:22 pm

We have a manager in Event 2 that has made 19 drop/adds already and we are only 15 games in. He is a pretty new manager and I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand how much this will hurt him in the long run. But who am I to say anything as he is 8-7 so far and I'm 6-9!
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour