ATG 8 Card Pricing

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Guynick

Re: ATG 8 Card Pricing

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:18 am

No issue with any of those outcomes. Dynamic pricing would be especially interesting. I just don’t feel that the current situation is as bad as it’s often made out to be.

egvrich

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 10:08 am

If players aren't being used, it likely means they are overpriced. If they were priced lower, people would find a way to use them, at least that is my belief.

Cedeno is a great example. Wonderful player, certainly playable cards, but his speed and defense raise the price of his cards to a point that his card doesn't make sense compared to other slugging CF's. He's a tweener who is good at too many things to make him get used often. Lowering his price would change that I believe.

andycummings65

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 5:26 pm

I'd be a 2 I guess. A one-time repricing would be good.

I'm not in favor of a sliding-scale based on usage changed periodically. I think that too much would go into that for it to happen in a timely fashion. There a many reasons cards get used or not used: caps, theme leagues, etc.

If it DID happen, I'd only want to see it repriced ONCE a YEAR. Some leagues are laid out by the league creator to make the theme competitive for all teams, and repricing the set every, let's say 3 months, would make that a very difficult thing to manage in multi-season theme leagues.

nels52

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 6:21 pm

Egvrich, I hear ya, but a league is only 12 teams. Plus, SOM leagues don't exactly fly off the shelves** I think what makes the live-updates dead on arrival is there aren't nearly enough leagues, let alone one with similar variables like Andy talks about, for there to a true market. I suppose there could be....but not for thousands and thousands of cards like we have. There might not be enough ATG leagues in a decade to fully explore the player pool, causing prices ping back and forth as the idea hopes.

Andy's comment about yearly seems about what an ATG version should be to me---plus that's what it used to be. Fix prices...new version!!! I came around in ATG2 where Bob Meusel and Frank Chance killed, but i guess it was even crazier in ATG1 :shock: Modern ATG has hit a state of statis. Prices were never "perfected." The hubris to preserve these abominations!!!

I see I made a big typo in talking about certain skills (speed, OBP, pitching etc.) being affected more than others. I said: "***Beyond the 1,2,3,4 I laid out, I think asking kind of big changes in pricing should happen." I meant to say "I think asking WHAT kind of big changes in prices should happen, if any."

I'm going to start some polls about re-pricing. I'd love all ya'll's brilliant feedback! Great to see/hear from many of you again. Andy, doing what you do for Theme Leagues and all!!!

**Which is crazy, because so many new lesser baseball sims are all "online" and have billions of leagues/players. Advertise/aspire please SOM.

tdkearns

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 7:16 pm

Dynamic pricing would be best. The data could be limited to 80mm leagues. Repricing could happen once every 2 or 3 years. Big coding job I imagine.

The Last Druid

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 7:54 pm

I fear we are just spinning our wheels. Does anyone actually think Richman will green light a repricing widespread enough to warrant calling it ATG9? It has been SEVEN YEARS since SOM assumed control of ATG from TSN and not a single card has been repriced. Nor have I heard anything from SOM to even hint that they would be open to a repricing. They are apparently quite grudging about even giving us the quarterly new cards. Each add drags on for months without a peep out of SOM. Clearly their notion is their way or the highway and their expectation that we comply without complaint regarding their customer (dis)service policies.
Last edited by The Last Druid on Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Druid

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:56 pm

I wonder though if there is a partial fix. Perhaps BC15NY can propose to SOM that the community gets to choose 10 cards, 4x per year, to be repriced based on community polls; such repricing to be accompanied with a proposed direction (up in price or down in price) and general magnitude of the requested change. For example I would nominate Pineiro and Duren as two of the most underpriced cards in the set and suggest a repricing in the range of + 20% - +25%, the precise figure to be determined by the current pricing committee. We could also ask for the Barnstormers finalists to choose 10 cards to be repriced along with the 10 players they get to select.

BC15NY

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 12:59 pm

The Last Druid wrote:I wonder though if there is a partial fix. Perhaps BC15NY can propose to SOM that the community gets to choose 10 cards, 4x per year, to be repriced based on community polls; such repricing to be accompanied with a proposed direction (up in price or down in price) and general magnitude of the requested change. For example I would nominate Pineiro and Duren as two of the most underpriced cards in the set and suggest a repricing in the range of + 20% - +25%, the precise figure to be determined by the current pricing committee. We could also ask for the Barnstormers finalists to choose 10 cards to be repriced along with the 10 players they get to select.

Interesting that you mentioned that. I have been thinking about asking Strat re the possibility of a 25 card repricing, perhaps on an annual basis. Hopefully they will be receptive to doing one or the other. I will find out.

Thanks,
Bill

nels52

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 pm

Does it really need to be such a small number of cards? 25-100 cards just seems like a small chunk and every price/card value is relative to others that I fear we'd just reactively play cards that were most obviusly changed/affect, not really just giving us what we need.

Although, if the 25 would just be targetted at the worst offenders, I guess that would be better because that's a whole different thing, but why not more? At the end of the day, a price is a price and just give us some new ones :twisted:

egvrich

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 8:57 am

The Last Druid wrote:I wonder though if there is a partial fix. Perhaps BC15NY can propose to SOM that the community gets to choose 10 cards, 4x per year, to be repriced based on community polls; such repricing to be accompanied with a proposed direction (up in price or down in price) and general magnitude of the requested change. For example I would nominate Pineiro and Duren as two of the most underpriced cards in the set and suggest a repricing in the range of + 20% - +25%, the precise figure to be determined by the current pricing committee. We could also ask for the Barnstormers finalists to choose 10 cards to be repriced along with the 10 players they get to select.

Like the idea Bruce. It would be a start and if we repriced the obvious ones it would help curb abuse immediately.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats