Using a Non Closer as a Closer

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

NMILSTEIN

Using a Non Closer as a Closer

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 am

I have Oliver Perez on one of my teams and obviously want him to get as many innings as possible. My closer on that team is pretty mediocre and I'm considering using Perez in that role as well. Has anyone had success with using a pitcher without a closer rating as their closer?

visick

Re: Using a Non Closer as a Closer

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am

28.0 CLOSER RULE

This Super Advanced system encourages realistic use of relief pitchers, emphasizing the use of pitchers in late-inning save situations who were the real big-league closers.

Since 1992 (and for each of the oldtimer seasons Strat-O-Matic has issued since then) each reliever is given a second POW rating, call it "closer endurance." For example, a rating of "relief (2)/3" indicates a regular POW rating of 2 and a closer endurance rating of 3.

28.1 Closer ratings range from 0-6, with 6 being the big-league's most frequent and successful closers. If a relief pitcher is rated "N" for closer endurance, he should not be used as a closer.

28.2 Closer endurance is the duration, measured in number of outs, a pitcher can maintain his effectiveness in closer situations. In Strat-O-Matic, a "closer situation" is defined differently than a big-league save opportunity. Your pitcher will be in a "closer situation" whenever you have the lead in the 9th inning or later and the tying run is on base or at bat.

28.3 A pitcher may enter a game in a closer situation or a game he already has entered may suddenly become a closer situation. Here are some rules to govern both possibilities:

28.31 The closer rules do not affect the current game's starting pitchers, who always use their starter POW (even for starting pitchers who have ratings both as starters and relievers).

28.32 Each reliever enters the game using either his closer endurance (if the game is already a closer situation) or his regular POW rating (if the game is not currently a closer situation).

28.33 If the pitcher begins his appearance with his regular POW and the game becomes a closer situation, he changes to his closer endurance rating. At that time, reduce his closer endurance by the number of outs he has already recorded. This number cannot be reduced to lower than 0, unless the pitcher's closer endurance is "N".

28.34 Once a pitcher begins to use his closer endurance rating, that is his endurance for the remainder of his appearance, even if the score changes and the game no longer is a closer situation.

Example: A reliever enters the game in the bottom of the 9th inning with a 3-2 lead - a closer situation. The opposing team ties the score in the bottom of the 9th. In the top of the 10th, the pitcher's team scores four times. If the same pitcher remains in the game for the bottom of the 10th, he is still using his closer endurance rating to determine when he becomes fatigued.

28.35 The closer endurance rating is the number of outs the pitcher can record before becoming fatigued. Once this number has been reached, reducing his endurance rating to 0, he becomes fatigued as soon as he allows a hit or walk.

Example: A pitcher with a closer endurance rating of 0 will become fatigued as soon as he surrenders a hit or walk, while a pitcher with closer endurance of 6 can pitch two full innings without risking fatigue.

28.36 Any pitcher with a closer endurance rating of "N" is immediately considered fatigued with the first batter he faces in a closer situation.

28.37 As with regular POW, once a reliever becomes fatigued under the terms of the Closer Rule, out readings followed by dots become SINGLE** (all other baserunners advancing two bases).

28.38 When using the Closer Rule, also be sure to use the rule which limits a reliever's innings to his relief POW rating, plus 2. At that point, he automatically becomes fatigued

ScumbyJr

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm

NMILSTEIN wrote:I have Oliver Perez on one of my teams and obviously want him to get as many innings as possible. My closer on that team is pretty mediocre and I'm considering using Perez in that role as well. Has anyone had success with using a pitcher without a closer rating as their closer?

This is NOT my team and he doesn't appear to be using Oliver Perez as a true closer, but Perez has 0 saves and 9 blown saves. I can't answer if anyone had success, but there are plenty of failures.
https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1511933

Valen

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Pretty sure Hal will treat a non closer rated reliever as fatigued from the start. I would not do it unless your goal is to lose games. Many years ago I went with a C6 rated closer that costed 0.50 just to see how it would go spending the money elsewhere. I think it was Jim Kern but that was many moons ago. Team won a title.

I think you are better off with just a warm body as long as the closer endurance is good over any non rated reliever no matter how good that reliever is.

jaywalker72

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 9:51 pm

I am watching Oliver Perez being used in closer situations ('18 league) with a simple R1 rating and N for closer rating -- he comes in the game with F9 and should be fatigued immediately but pitches with F9 -- he even gave up a homer in the last outing for his owner and did not impact his rating -- got the save, too.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx