Looking for Explanation of Ignoring my Set Lineup

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

MforTurtle13

Looking for Explanation of Ignoring my Set Lineup

PostWed May 22, 2019 10:30 am

So in the first game of the series, we face a righty and HAL uses my lineup I have set. During the game, my leadoff hitter gets injured and they sub in my backup. All is fine and good.

In the next two games of the series, HAL just uses whatever lineup he pleases. I have a backup set who was on my bench, no one else was hurt, and I do not have a reverse lineup set at all.

Why would the computer ignore my lineup that I have set and change the entire thing? The lineup page clearly states "If your reverse lineup is blank, this default lineup will be used for all RHSP."

All 3 Games Linked:
Game 1(correct Lineup): https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/439780/527
Game 2: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/439780/533
Game 3: https://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/439780/539

paul8210

Re: Looking for Explanation of Ignoring my Set Lineup

PostWed May 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Seems like a game engine bug. The same thing happened in game 83(?) to the same injured player, although in game 83, I think there were two injured players that needed replacements. It's pretty far-fetched, but, maybe HAL got confused who your backup third baseman is because nobody on your roster is a primary third baseman. Maybe, there's a bug in which Hal mistakenly mixes up your lineup if he finds no primary 3rd baseman; then, as a last step he identifies the backup assigned by you. Again, that's a pretty far-fetched theory, but, I'm just looking at anything remotely unusual, such as a roster without a primary third baseman.

jjii66

PostWed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm

That's actually normal. When a player is injured, HAL will start the appropriate sub, and keep your batting order the way you had it... until it gets to that spot in the order. For example, if your #5 hitter is hurt, your 1-4 hitters will stay in their usual order, but 5-9 will be set by HAL. (I don't know why exactly, but that's definitely how it works.) So... since it happened to be your leadoff hitter who got replaced, HAL scrambled the entire batting order. (Which is a bummer, because he does a surprisingly bad job of creating lineups in my opinion, especially considering that he's a computer!)

MforTurtle13

PostThu May 23, 2019 11:28 am

If that is the case, am I wrong in thinking it shouldn't be that way? For example (hypothetical coming), if my leadoff hitter is hurt for only the first game of the next series, I shouldn't have to either take him out of the lineup and move his replacement down so he comes up later in the lineup for the whole series. I should be able to leave him in the leadoff spot and just have the backup play the first game in the leadoff spot and then go back to the original for the rest of the games.

Is there anyone I can contact to gain some clarity on this? What is the best process in your opinion when your leadoff hitter gets hurt?

STEVE F

PostThu May 23, 2019 11:57 am

I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it. Analytics have shown that the difference between the optimal lineup and just picking a lineup out of a hat is between 1-2 wins per season.

jjii66

PostThu May 23, 2019 4:17 pm

Well, keep in mind that some backups are really bad. Imagine having Rickey Henderson as your leadoff hitter... he gets hurt... What if your backup LF is a .50 scrub? Do you want your worst player batting leadoff? So Hal uses his best judgement (haha) and rearranges the order, hopefully with good results. At least I think that's the logic behind it.
In any case, SteveF is right about not losing sleep. It is what it is, and it's usually just for a game here and there (unless your best hitters are really injury-prone.) And believe me, I'm as obsessive as anyone when it comes to filling out that lineup card!

the ghost of roger maris

PostSun May 26, 2019 8:53 am

I suspect Hal found a sale on cheap whiskey and was slurring his speech....
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

RB44

PostSun May 26, 2019 9:38 am

This makes sense to me. I do not want my typical backup player leading off for 2 games after an injury to a starter.

Return to General Strategy