Q About HAL as a Manager

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

rvalente01

Q About HAL as a Manager

PostWed May 15, 2019 8:16 am

I have a question about HAL as a manager. I let HAL set my line up each night and the link is a regular line up VS RH pitchers. HAL insists on hitting Wilson Contreras second all the time. His performance has not warranted it with a .288 obp and a .362 slg vs RH for strato stats and a CARD stats of .339 obp and .390 slg .

My question is does HAL go off the card stats or does he adjust for strato performance? No reason for Contras to hit 2nd with other options. Other than playing Mason Williams over Brian Anderson in RF which a I assume is for defensive purposes I'm happy with his, PH decisions and platooning. I know I could just set him in the 8th spot and HAL will keep him there but want to understand the HAL logic.

I'm 10th in runs scored in a 24 team keeper league averaging almost 5 runs a game so it is my mediocre starting pitching and erratic bullpen that is keeping me around .500 after a bad start. We are through 111 games and I'm 5 games out of a WC spot.

lhttps://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/game/439630/1150

milleram

Re: Q About HAL as a Manager

PostMon May 20, 2019 1:57 am

I have tried that strategy also---usually for just six to nine games, to see what HAL will do when I am not sure about my lineup.

In my first two or three seasons (my first season with the 2012 player set) HAL seemed to set the lineup by OPS (On Base + Slugging) from top to bottom---and HAL did take into account the SP--if he was 4R vs 4L Right hander for example the lineup may be in a different order, or even different players.

Now I'm not so sure---I know that mystery sets were altered a year or so before I started playing online because that was a trick to see which card you had.

I think they have changed the logic for the regular game also, though just maybe two years ago--or when the Rookie BOT leagues started.

What few games I've tried it the last couple years, it seems somewhat more random as to what HAL will do---so I just wouldn't trust HAL for a complete lineup anymore, but you can set just the first 5 and leave the rest blank. If you try setting something like 1,3,5,7,9 holes--HAL will move them to the first 5--so be aware of that.

rvalente01

PostWed May 29, 2019 7:54 am

I went back to setting my line ups and had reserves at every position and batted Contreras 8th vs RH and Austin Romine 8th vs LH. When my lead off hitter got hurt HAL batted Contreras 1st vs RH and moved Romine to 2nd vs LH. When my RF who was batting second go hurt HAL put Contreras 2nd same for Romine vs a LH. I have not filled in reverse split line ups but that was not the case in those situations. It tried filling in just my lead off hitter and catcher in the 8th spot but didn't do anything both Contreras and Romine continued to hit 2nd. I just think HAL wants my catchers to hit 2nd. Maybe I should hit Freddy Galvis 2nd he cant get hurt.

chasenally

PostThu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 pm

I am in the playoffs and haven't done anything with my pitching settings. I have done that many ties. HAL will make more changes then I could ever set. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. If your Pitcher blows a save or gives up a big hit look to see if it is on your Pitchers card or Hitters card. I don't mind HAL running my Pen at all. I also go 6 to 9 games just to see how HAL would set my lineup.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx