What comes after the secret formula?

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

MARCPELLETIER

Re: What comes after the secret formula?

PostThu Feb 19, 2015 11:05 pm

I think the real culpfit is the "maximize" closer rule. Probably just a coincidence that he played as you lifted the set up role. With the maximize setting, Hal benches The closer when the game is tied, whereas these are the most important games to win.

But in my opinion, with no closer rule, I don't think that Hoffman is used appropriately as a closer. I think you should go with a R2 or more for the closer role so that the closer doesn't become fatigued with only 3 singles.

Hoffman would be best used as the traditional fireman : getting in the game when the SP has left a couple of runners on the bases, trying to save from the big inning. Just my 2€!!
Last edited by MARCPELLETIER on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valen

PostFri Feb 20, 2015 12:45 am

You may be right. I am looking but do not see any good options for improving my lot against RH pitching.
Going to try slotting Dibble as closer. He has lowest ERA among my relievers anyway. Going to slot Hoffman as first setup and set closer to regular.

the ghost of roger maris

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

tweeking rosters to reflect your division during free agent process is a step some do not take....
I also look at lineup shuffling to reflect the team I am facing....one team has no lefty relievers other than a loogy....so the need to protect my lefty splitters is far less important than facing the team with 3 lefties in the pen.
vivan Correcaminos! Andale! Andale!

J-Pav

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm

:lol:

I am literally just seeing this thread for the first time. Over the years I sometimes take a hiatus from the boards, letting the batteries recharge and percolating new ideas. I can’t believe I missed such a great thread!

So I just wanted to give a shout out to Valen for the kind words and let everyone know I wasn’t avoiding his thread on purpose four years ago! :lol:

Thx Ghost for bumping this, it’s funny how well it relates to the current “Defense” and “Magic Teams” threads.

ROBERTVOZZA

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 8:05 pm

I tend to use strategy close to Keyzick. My weakness has always been my bullpen settings. When my teams dont do well it is usually because we get beat in the late innings. My closers are usually set to Maximize. My closer will usually lead the league in saves. But I may still not win my division. Or make the WC - Which is usually my goal.

There is one other thing I do not mentioned here. It comes when the caphit is the highest. But when I hit games 126-130, I am likely to add or drop or attempt to trade for a pitcher or hitter that will give me and advantage in my division down the stretch. Generally a less expensive hard LH SP or RH SP who can shut down my opponent on the road, depending on their ballpark(s). Or a hard R or LH hitter who can make a difference vs my opponents SP's, again based on Ballpark numbers.

This strategy has actually helped me to make the WC several times when my team had been slightly underperforming.

ROBERTVOZZA

PostSat Jan 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Sometimes I will also do this in the beginning of the season with a cheap hard LH or RH SP for my division foes and then drop them for one better suited for the rest of the Non Division Opponents if called for. But usually only with very inexpensive Pitchers. Generally under 2M. But mostly under 1M. So its a very low caphit. My Ballpark choices generall tend to be low singles parks with one side strong for BP HRS. For example: In the 2018 set, Dodger for LH and Wrigley for the rightside. This allows me to stack power hitters to the strong side. And choose SP's that don't give up BP HRs to that side. This strategy has always served m :roll: e well in the past, but for some reason has not worked in 2018. :roll: :lol:

elpasopesos

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 9:27 pm

My tips:

1. Every set presents its own challenge. This set 2017 is heavy with lefty hitters. This time you can draft a number of lefty pitchers and they will be successful.

2. Avoid adding a dropping. Most teams that do this just begin a death spiral.

3. Propose trades. This is the easy way to improve your team.

4. Use creative lineups/ Be engaged every night to change your settings

5. Avoid a team with lots of player injuries.

STEVE F

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 9:36 pm

I agree with all but #5. High injury players are often the best bargains.

freeman

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 am

I had to laugh when I came across this team. It went 99-63 and it had a 4 at 2nd, a 3 at short, a 4 at third base, and a 4 in left and right, a 4 at catcher, and a 2 at first base and center field. It might be my worst defensive team ever..but it worked! Sometimes certain parks just work well in a certain year. Great American played well that year, I think.

https://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1470913

johnmartinsain

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 pm

I once had a team win a division with 82 wins.....Won the playoff,...then Swept the Championship series.

That team was worth 50 million at the end, due to player moves (80 million dollar league).

Would be a sure entry in the record books if 'winning a championship' with the lowest salary was a category.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx