Requiem for Dale Murray II --> Done!

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

RiggoDrill

Requiem for Dale Murray II -- 8 in, 16 to go...

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Hittmens wrote:... However to use Murray and keep him under 175 innings it would help if the cap was a little higher maybe 90 or 100.

For this league, we'll use an 80M cap. ...but I see your point. Will probably run another at higher cap (and maybe another one at lower cap) after this one fills

For me personally, different cap levels represent different challenges. The idea is to mix things up with different combinations of pitchers/hitters than I might otherwise use
Last edited by RiggoDrill on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rael74

Re: New League: Requiem for Dale Murray II

PostMon Jan 21, 2019 11:29 pm

I'm brand new to 365, so thank you for posting this. I had no idea, and sure enough I checked a couple names on your list who are having monster seasons in my leagues. Any other newbie tips? I'm going to join this league. I started my team, but I don't have a draft list yet. Plus I've never done with DH yet so I need to think about that.

RiggoDrill

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Now that we've loaded the 110M league, can we get this one done next?

Four (4) teams in so far... 8-)

RiggoDrill

PostSat Jan 26, 2019 11:39 am

Filling slowly, but steadily - now have 5 :)

BDWard

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 1:56 am

RiggoDrill wrote:
HARDESTY wrote:...I'm fairly new to this (17 leagues, I think, in about 3 years). Anyone know if the RP overuse a recent development or a longtime problem?

A longtime problem.

The first edition of the online game - the 2001 season - included two spectacular R2 cards (Mariano Rivera & Keith Foulke) priced over 10.00M. People complained about the extremely high prices for top relievers, but whoever did the original pricing obviously understood how those cards could be used.

SOMO responded to complaints by significantly dropping salaries for top relievers in the 2002 player set. Libertarian managers responded by regularly cranking 250+ inning seasons from those R2 cards and have been (in the 20XX) game ever since.

Early editions of ATG included far fewer top reliever cards, so for a long time, this was not an issue. In recent years, however, the proliferation of top reliever cards in the ATG game has changed that calculus. Managers have learned that top RP cards with R3 & R4 endurance ratings can crank out 350+ quality innings, frequently yielding 30-win seasons from the bullpen.

Whether or not you like those aesthetics is a personal judgment. That said, from a salary standpoint, those cards are worth between 15.00 and 18.00M when used that way, thus breaking the salary structure which underlies the competitiveness of the game.

Many people - myself included - have quit the game (at least for a time) in frustration. In particular, new players - who are much less likely to participate in private leagues - will be watching experienced managers beat up on them using this seemingly absurd strategy. IMO, that's a lousy way to sell the game to newbies.

Over the years, SOM has added a lot of great enhancements to the online game, but those are all window dressing compared to this MASSIVE gap. As a business decision, I would guess the failure to address this issue - for the last 18 years - has cost SOM a lot of money.

Amen, brother. The sad thing is that SOM has the ability in the computer game to limit relief pitcher innings and has made no attempt to do anything about it.

The super reliever strategy is highly prevalent in the Barnstormers Tournament. I'm so fed up with it that's it's highly unlikely that I'll play the BSers Tourney again until SOM does something to address the situation, but I think hell will freeze over first.

The Last Druid

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 10:54 am

I have to disagree with Bernie regarding the prevalence of the super reliever strategy in the Barnstormers and its effectiveness. The first two events are no dh, which inherently limits the innings a super reliever can pitch because of pinch hitters. It would be a different story at 100M caps or less when there is no dh but there is only one such event, Event 6. At the 140M and 200M caps super relievers can in theory be effective, it is just that most aren't that much better than the top starters and when you invest in 4 guys who you can't afford to get blown out in the first five innings, that limits how much you can spend on great relief. So that leaves the 200M dh, but even at that formerly exorbitant pricing, it now entails sacrificing quality hitters to load up on a great pen.

Just look at the guys already in the finals and their use of super relievers. Lab and DJ who finished 1st and 2nd certainly didn't overindulge in superreliever usage and some of the guys who did managed to eke out wins in the low 90's mostly with that strategy, and rarely did they get 250+ innings out of Sutter et. al. Hallerose, Cristano and myself did use it judiciously but with the no dh I got only 163 innings out of Sutter. I did get 224 from House and 202 from Arroyo for other teams, but the latter hardly qualifies as a super reliever.

A repricing would be great, maybe r4's should go up perhaps 40% and r3's 30% etc. But unless a petition to do so garners massive community support, just don't foresee that happening.

RiggoDrill

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Opinions are like... Well, they're like something that everybody's got one of ;) Speaking of which, I should have moved my opinion to another thread and left this one for league sign-ups.

Some managers like to use relievers for as many innings as they can get out of them. Fair enough. This is a league for managers who want to play the game without RPs regularly exceeding 200 innings. Interestingly, some managers who are most notorious for thrashing the Bruce Sutter's and Dale Murray's will play a league like this because (and I quote), "I need these rules to save me from myself" ;) :lol:

6 now loaded - making progress 8-)

The Last Druid

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 pm

Sounds like tmfw30.

RiggoDrill

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 11:36 pm

The Last Druid wrote:Sounds like tmfw30.

Exactamundo! - he's in the league 8-)

FWIW, Chompsky said the same thing in R4 Dale Murray I.

mykeedee

PostMon Jan 28, 2019 1:13 pm

Yep, Matt exploits that strategy as well as anyone, and at all caps!
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats