Never seen this before ... And NOT happy about it.

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

egvrich

Never seen this before ... And NOT happy about it.

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 7:23 am

Just had a 98 win team lose in the semis. Best record in the league by 6 games (despite sitting key players for the last few nights) and best run differential in the league (+171, next best +106). 48-33 at home during the regular season.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/1488279

It's not just that I lost in the semis with the best team in the league, that happens all the time to me and everyone else, it's how it happened ... We got swept the first 2 at home, then won the next 3 on road, came back home feeling confident and proceeded to lose the next 2 at home.

WTF??? The home team didn't win a SINGLE GAME in the entire 7 game series. I don't recall having seen that before. So much for supposed built in home field advantage.

Re: Never seen this before ... And NOT happy about it.

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:43 am

I feel your pain but if you really want to know pain - of my last 31 play-off teams 25 lost in the semis and only 3 won rings. Many had the leagues best record and 8 led the series 3-1 and then folded . I AM NOT HAPPY EITHER . Bill

egvrich

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 10:30 am

Bill,

I feel your pain there for sure. That's crazy. I just found the whole 0-7 at home amazing in this series. Didn't helpt that the most expensive pitcher in the set (11.30 Maddux) did not show up come playoff time for me.

Rich

Hittmens

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:22 am

1787 wrote:I feel your pain but if you really want to know pain - of my last 31 play-off teams 25 lost in the semis and only 3 won rings. Many had the leagues best record and 8 led the series 3-1 and then folded . I AM NOT HAPPY EITHER . Bill

8 straight with no rings 2 final loses and 6 first round exits
previously I had lost 9 straight first round series
Like you some 100 win teams and others with best records and incredible folds with lots of one run game 7 losses
what we need to do is play each other so that at least one of us will get out of the first round

I did some searching and you actually might be worse than me- we were in a league together we both won our divisions but lost game 7's- but you blew a 3-0 lead in yours.

gkhd11a

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 12:20 pm

The Perfectionists started 2 starters at your field that were 5-1 against you during regular season including 2-1 on the road with that loss being when Mudcat Grant went 9 2/3 and lost in bottom of the 10th. Your stealing was probably set too aggressive for Pie Traynor to be thrown out after singling in the second inning and getting thrown out attempting to steal with the -5 for a 60% chance at best of success. Losing by one run in that game it and being followed by another single it was a costly throwout.

Sutton your second best pitcher only pitched one game and should have been pitching game 7 not Heridia. He won for you on the road as he had all season (7-1 on the road) He shut out the Perfectionists the only time he faced them during the regular season. You won on the road with your two best pitchers, and were no doubt favored statistically in those games and had misfortune to lose game 1 with Maddux (who only pitched one game in regular season against Perfectionists and lost) against a pitcher that had success against your team and lost game 6 against a pitcher that made you an underdog when Rick Reuter went up against Mudcat Grant and your team was slowed by the -4 arm of Johnson. You also won the game on Road when the Perfectionists pitched their worst pitcher Stigman and his +5 arm (ie Lofton stealing second and third and scoring on squeeze).

egvrich

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:43 pm

There you go applying logic and math to it ... LOL.

My post was as much about the home team losing all 7 games as anything. I'm used to HAL screwing over good teams come playoff time. He does it to me and plenty of people on a regular basis.

Hittmens

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 3:59 pm

The problem with this game is the players who look at every angle and figure out all the probabilities before hand and set up their team accordingly. Makes it harder for those of us playing by the seat of our pants.

kenhutchings

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 5:13 pm

When I won my first championship (70s Mystery), the visiting team won every game in the Finals. It was agonizing to go from 2-0 after the first evening, to 2-2 after the second evening, to 2-3 after the third evening. I had the '72 Steve Carlton on my team that won the sixth game, but the winning pitcher of the deciding seventh game was 1973 Alan Foster.

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/team/sched ... son/408286

tony best

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 11:57 am

Another tale of woe-lost game 7 after leading 6-1 by ace closer giving up losing run in bottom of 10th. :cry:

Continues my constantly losing in first round of play offs. I wonder if there is a way of making good play off teams?

crackerjaxon

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 8:39 pm

This game is about how well you know the cards, not how well you know baseball.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: All-Time Greats