newbie game review question

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

porthos

newbie game review question

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 5:59 am

http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/436557/18

Hello. I just started playing and was reviewing my box scores. Can someone please look at the 8th inning and tell me what happened to Yaz? Thanks.

andycummings65

Re: newbie game review question

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am

Appears he was thrown out as he tried to take 3rd on the Robinson single, with Robinson taking 2nd on the play.

porthos

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 7:59 am

If that is so then why would he try to go to 3rd on a single to left?

andycummings65

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 10:03 am

What is your Baserunning setting on the Team Strategy Page?

It seems the only logical conclusion, since Robinson ended up on 2nd.

porthos

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 11:28 am

Conservative. It makes no sense to me that a slow runner (1-14) would attempt to advance in that manner against a left fielder with a -1 arm rating and two good hitters coming to bat. That play most likely cost me the game.

milleram

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am

The left fielder has an assist, (1st three games so easy to tell in other teams stats) so Yaz was thrown out trying to advance to third on the single. 14 is not a slow runner--probably considered a good runner. 12 is average.

Conservative running rating probably should have slowed him down in this case though as it is a -1 OF arm and also an extra -2 for the short throw to third from LF--so it was a 1-11 safe chance. With conservative running I would guess 95% of the time Hal would hold at 2nd.

It is not a hard rule though and ever so often the AI will send a guy that we normally wouldn't if playing the CD rom version and managing ourselves--it just has a much less chance of sending him with conservative as opposed to aggressive running.

This happens to everyone and is annoying--attempted steals of 3rd with two outs are even worse. So I usually go conservative stealing also.

ScumbyJr

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 3:38 pm

porthos wrote:If that is so then why would he try to go to 3rd on a single to left?

Tie game on the road trying to get a running on 3rd with 1 out. Others know more about this, but
milleram wrote:The left fielder has an assist, (1st three games so easy to tell in other teams stats) so Yaz was thrown out trying to advance to third on the single. 14 is not a slow runner--probably considered a good runner. 12 is average.

Conservative running rating probably should have slowed him down in this case though as it is a -1 OF arm and also an extra -2 for the short throw to third from LF--so it was a 1-11 safe chance. With conservative running I would guess 95% of the time Hal would hold at 2nd.

It is not a hard rule though and ever so often the AI will send a guy that we normally wouldn't if playing the CD rom version and managing ourselves--it just has a much less chance of sending him with conservative as opposed to aggressive running.

This happens to everyone and is annoying--attempted steals of 3rd with two outs are even worse. So I usually go conservative stealing also.

Tied game on the road top of the 8th trying to get a runner on 3rd with 1 out probably makes it a reasonable gamble. Is there an outfield playing deep rule where the runner gets a + added? I can see the LF playing deep to avoid an extra base hit bringing the runner home from 1st.
Last edited by ScumbyJr on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

milleram

PostWed Apr 18, 2018 5:38 pm

My understanding (which can be wrong) is OF throws from LF to 3B is altered by -2 for the short throw, and throws from RF to 3B (which is the longest throw in baseball especially if the RF is in the corner) is altered by +2--throws to 2B and Home are not altered.

If strat has added a OF deep option to throws (I like that) I don't know.

Return to General Strategy