Grumpy Old Men Keeper League (GOML)Chat_Sup. draft Cuts here

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

Ninersphan

Re: Grumpy Old Men Keeper League (GOML) Chat

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Mr Baseball World wrote:Definitely wait but my assumption was that it would be the same as the previous draft.....carded players only. Some leagues only allow carded to be drafted in the spring draft

As I said, I assume that's the way it is too, but it's not written in the rules and I'd hate for someone to pick an uncarded player and then have an argument develop because it wasn't clarified from the start.

sociophil

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 4:31 pm

I'm glad this was brought up before the draft started. I also believe it is only carded players that are eligible. I don't believe unleashed are eligible.

Philip

Ninersphan

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 5:33 pm

sociophil wrote:I'm glad this was brought up before the draft started. I also believe it is only carded players that are eligible. I don't believe unleashed are eligible.

Philip

It’s not just Unleashed, there are several desirable players that got a cup of coffee last year that don’t have cards in either set. I get we don’t use the Unleashed set to play( though that’s not specified in the rules either, just going by last year) I want clarity on uncarded players overall. As an example, Juerys Familia has no card in either set, if he’s available (I can’t check rosters to see if he’s on someone’s team), he’s some one I’d take a late round flyer on. There are plenty of others I’d take an early rounder flyer on too, guys that won’t be available as prospects as they have MLB playing time but not enough to warrant a card in the online game. If they are included it changes the value and dynamic of these picks.

sociophil

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:25 pm

I understand. When we started last year I joined because we were committed to a cards only league. I see now that this was not put in the rules. I failed to drop Ortiz because of my assumption that uncarded players were ineligible, but I can see why a manager might want to keep a player who loses a card (imagine losing Kershaw because of Tommy John surgery that leaves him cardless for a year).

I would not want to open our rosters to the universe of uncarded baseball players because I cannot dedicate the time it takes to comb through major and minor league rosters. I would have preferred not to have prospects but the majority wanted it last year. The work involved in managing a roster with uncarded players is substantial.

As it stands, the exclusion of unleashed and uncarded players from the draft assures that a few gems make it through to the draft each year. This, I believe, helps to add some parity.

I hope we can agree to revise the rules to reflect the original intent (oh my God, I've become an originalist!) of the first season, which excluded uncarded players from the draft. If you have an uncarded player on your roster, by all means keep him. Otherwise let's keep it simple.

Philip

Ninersphan

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Philip, I’m fine either way, please don’t take my asking for clarity as me trying to push a specific agenda. I just want it clarified and written down in the rules so it’s cut and dry and there is no uncertainty. When I went to the rules to seek an answer I discovered there is nothing written that spells it out, that’s all I want. Well, to be honest I WANT all the players included, carded or not, but I’ll play in the league no matter what is decided. ;-)

chasenally

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 pm

This does need to be clarified. The "cup of coffee" players also do. I looked over a guy that appeared in 1 game but didn't even have a PA. Does that exclude him from the Prospect draft and that years draft? I am not trying to steer the rules one way or the other either just want to know what to do.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!

hk mossy

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:12 pm

I will write it into the rules, but the intent was it to remain that uncarded players are undraftable. if you have them on your team you can keep them, But you cant draft them.

Ninersphan

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:15 pm

hk mossy wrote:I will write it into the rules, but the intent was it to remain that uncarded players are undraftable. if you have them on your team you can keep them, But you cant draft them.

Thank you. :-). You might also want to include we use the standard player set too.

STEVE F

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Ok, so just so I have this straight. Let's take Moncada. He is undraftable both in regular draft (has no card) AND in the prospect draft (has service time at the major league level)??

chasenally

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 7:29 pm

STEVE F wrote:Ok, so just so I have this straight. Let's take Moncada. He is undraftable both in regular draft (has no card) AND in the prospect draft (has service time at the major league level)??

Get your point but Moncada does have a card in this years set. That does leave many players out this year doesn't it.
The msaegse is waht mttares msot!
PreviousNext

Return to Individual League Chat