Where we stand

the official tournament of the Mystery Card player sets

Moderators: Juiced JC, jaywalker72, Palmtana

• Author

franky35

Where we stand

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

First, your faithful commissioner is dead last in the tournament after starting the 60s with an 8-22 record. It could be a long tournament.

And the closers in League 9 are not in. So, my mood isn't too great. Get in the league! Apparently newsgame has been contacted and says he'll be joining League 9. We'll see. However, Icterus should be ready to join League 9 if needed. The closers in League 9 must join $#@*$&@ now!

In League 1, we are just missing filler AdamKatz. Still no word there - can anybody contact him?

Juiced JC

Re: Where we stand

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Sorry to make you angry, I wanted to be sure I was supposed to join before I did - closers joining too early can be a problem. I'm in now. It's just newsgame and stratorat left to join League 9.

Juiced JC

djkalle

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 12:23 am

"First, your faithful commissioner is dead last in the tournament after starting the 60s with an 8-22 record. It could be a long tournament."

Don't be fooled everyone. The sly but "faithful commissioner" was in the bottom 12 last year half way through the 60's and finished in the top 12 once again. One of the best at turning garbage into gold. Good luck Frankie!

Have fun!

franky35

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 1:10 pm

I feel like I ain't foolin nobody. My team is now 8-25, and I am in sole position of last place in the tournament at position 120. My team has Mantle (injury reveal) and Eddie Mathews are both on good years in Cleveland Stadium which is friendly to left-handers and those two are a combined 1-for-18 on ballpark homers which seems pretty sh###y.

Anyway, there are a couple issues. First, I'm concerned that some players in the tournament may be new to the mystery format and need to be informed about injury reveals and some of the other basics. Could someone help out and provide a short, basic tutorial for new players? Perhaps even a league email that is spread around all the leagues so all the new players become aware of the basics. Please don't overwhelm the new players - just so they don't cut really good players that have been injured, bp hr, or hbp.

Finally, there is a challenge flag with Pats09 joining League 9 in place of newsgame. The commissioner committee is putting this under slow motion review. If other players have thoughts on this, please go ahead and post them.

franky35

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 2:16 pm

OK, so Pats09 jumped in too soon and took the place of newsgame. But newsgame was very late in getting his team ready and never posted anything on the message board until after losing his place. Pats09 had signed up for the tournament but neglected to read the rules and missed the 60s. Both say they want to be in the tournament. So, is there a fix? One thing we will not do is redraft 70s League 9. League 9 will continue to play in the normal way. Going forward, I am considering the following: newsgame and Pats09 both remain in the tournament; Pats09 missed the 60s and newsgame misses the 70s but both play through the 80s and 90s. To give them a chance to make the finals, we can ask SOM management to give them each 81 points at the conclusion of the 70s league to make up for their missed leagues. Comments???? I would need to hear on the message board from Pats09 and newsgame whether they would accept this possible solution.

pats09

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

I would accept anything the group felt was fair. I should have been watching the board before the 60's started. Sorry i jumped the gun last night, Guys, emails got to me out of order, so got the log in and then the wait until midnight. My bad! Sorry to newsgame. Sooooo, i will play under whatever rules you deem fair. Also, if there is a way drop me and add him, i would understand! Would rather play,but......i would get it. Again, sorry for my part! Just want to compete!!

Thanks, Keith

stratorat

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm OK with the proposal to let them back in. newsgame was sincere in his attempts which is why I (as a closer) was delaying the close until our commish insisted on closing.

FALCON29

PostFri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm

I like the proposal, which lets both guys participate. Great solution!

Rosie2167

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 3:40 pm

The current parameters make this the toughest tourney IMO, so granting a manager 81 wins when there are many lower results out there to be had seems unfair. franky, I bet you'd take 81 wins right now for your 60s squad.

I personally love the mystery sets and would really like us to expand this tournament x2 for each decade, allow a toss out or 2 (which would solve this issue) and expand the playoffs. When I was younger, no kids my buddies and I would always say more golf, baseball, more whatever we were playing at the time was always better. More please!

madal

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 5:00 pm

It would be nice to keep them both in the tournament, but giving them 81 wins seems too generous to me. Average the win total for the worst team in each of the 9 (or 10, whatever) leagues, and adding that seems more reasonable to me.

So if the sum of lowest win totals in each of the ten 60's leagues was say 750, the average is 75, then add that. Do the same for the 70's leagues.

Just an idea, I'll accept whatever the comish decides.
Next

Return to --- Mystery Tournament