CAP and DH or no dh choices for 2017 finals

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

The Last Druid

CAP and DH or no dh choices for 2017 finals

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 am

Okay, so last year 7 people voted for 100M and 5 voted for 80M but because the 80M folks were unanimous in wanting a dh, the minority prevailed as the 100M guys were split 4-3 over the dh question.

To me the cap seems to be much the more important piece than dh status. Would it not be possible to tabulate the votes for cap and dh separately? Using that methodology, the 2016 Finals would have been 100M dh instead of 80M dh.

I would imagine that the other finalists might agree that cap is more important than dh, but perhaps not. Would it hurt to ask and then abide by the will of the majority, if one exists?
Last edited by The Last Druid on Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallerose

Re: CAP and DH or no dh choices for 2017 finals

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 5:41 am

Cap and DH should be separate votes.

mighty moose

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 pm

How is that going to work exactly ? If someone wants 100 with DH but 80 with NO DH, how is this done is you vote for a cap and you vote for DH separately ?

If you vote for 100 and DH with separate votes and then the vote for the cap turns out to be 80, you've wasted your DH choice because you said DH when in fact you wanted NO DH if the cap is 80.

It seems counterproductive the way you are asking.

If we have 4 vote choices, 100 with DH - 100 without - 80 with - 80 without - why is that bad ?

The Last Druid

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 5:55 pm

It is not so much that the present system is inherently bad, but it essentially weights cap and dh equally, and I strongly suspect that most finalists probably care more about cap status than dh status. It caught my attention because in last years finals, 7 finalists preferred 100M yet they had to play at 80M which doesn't seem right to me. If cap and dh were voted on separately, the 7 guys who wanted to play at 100M would have prevailed on that score, but also the 8 guys who wanted dh, would also have gotten what they wanted which was dh Thus instead of 80M dh which was the choice of only 5, the finals would have been 100M dh.

All I am asking is that we poll the 9 finalists (or all 12 if you want to wait until the semi's get resolved presumably around Xmas?) to see if they want to continue the present system of voting which links cap and dh or change to unlinking dh and cap. Under my proposal, there are still four choices but instead of one vote for each finalist for one of the four choices they vote twice with two choices per vote.

I understand the thinking behind the present system. You start a league and you have to decide the cap and dh status. I imagine no one ever even considered what I am proposing, I certainly just accepted at face value that you have one vote for one of the four choices. But I am trying to think outside the box here so that the finalists, all of whom put considerable effort into getting there, have maximum input into the conditions under which the finals are held.

I would also propose that the vote on cap take place first and once the cap is determined, only then do the finalists vote on dh. This way no dh choices get wasted, per your concern in the post immediately preceding this one.

mighty moose

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Since we have time, I will ask all 4 board members to take a look at this thread and see if they have a comment.

The Last Druid

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks, Rick. :)

Mr Baseball World

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 pm

I would agree wth The Last Druid that cap would be the more important element for the owners. I think the simplest and clearest method would be to vote on cap and then vote DH/no DH once everyone knows the cap. That way those who want DH at one cap but no DH at the other can vote accordingly.

gkhd11a

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 8:21 am

To the answer originally proposed, “would it hurt to have a vote and bide by the rule of the majority”, I feel rules of a tournament, no matter how small should not be changed at the end of a tournament, unless it was unanimously agreed, but even then taking a vote if one person disagrees puts that person subject to a public forum mocking of being uncooperative for changing a rule near the end of the tournament, that should have been proposed at the start of a tournament.

If a tournament has an agreed upon format, that format should not be changed once the tournament has started.

mighty moose

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Some board members choose to respond to me privately and that's fine. I wont say we have 100% agreement but that is seldom the case. I appreciate Charlie's last comment that we shouldn't change the rules after the tournament has launched.

In this particular case, we never really set in the official rules what cap the semi's or finals should be or the vote format and were just trying to do as we did the last couple of years.

I think this wording should make everybody happy. Everyone declares their vote in this manner.

I vote for the Finals salary cap to be: 80 Mil or 100 Mil
If the vote is 80 Mil I vote for (DH / NO DH)
If the vote is 100 Mil I vote for (DH / NO DH)

This way, we still get in done in one pass-through.

MM

The Last Druid

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks again Rick, especially for your prompt and Solomon-like resolution of this issue. :)

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour