X-Chart HIt off of a 1

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

bvargus

X-Chart HIt off of a 1

PostSun May 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Playing in my league World Series, and saw in the play-by-play where my opponent got a SINGLE on a GB 1b X while Paul Goldschmidt was my first basemen. Can anyone explain why there would be a single against a "1" rated fielder? There was no one on base, so he wasn't holding. The game was a scoreless tie in the 9th, so it could really have made a huge difference had the next batter not proceeded to make an out.

milleram

Re: X-Chart HIt off of a 1

PostMon May 29, 2017 12:31 pm

I don't have a fielding chart in front of me, but if no one was on base there should be no way a single occurred---the only possible exception I can think of is a rare play split that resulted in a single somehow--if I can dig up my advanced chart I'll take a look.

coyote303

PostTue May 30, 2017 11:40 am

Corners were in to guard against a bunt for single. Thus, your 1 first baseman became a 2.

JayW527

PostTue Jun 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 similar to the CD-Rom Game's Maximum rules uses a secret set of rules.

This is a summary of what I could find out about the Maximum rules, but this type of correction must have taken place for Goldschmidt to have given up the single you mentioned:

Maximum Rules are special rules found only in the computer game (Online and CD-ROM) which enhance the realism of Strat-O-Matic's simulation of baseball by addressing certain limitations that are inherent in a card-and-dice game. They do this by slightly altering the results normally obtained from the cards to improve things like out distribution, opportunities to take extra bases, and upholding extreme performances like Dennis Eckersley's giving up only 4 walks in 73.1 IP in 1990.

This does come at the cost of a small amount of game engine visibility, but the result, again, is a more realistic baseball simulation

-Jay

Return to General Strategy