Mike Trout is a FA?

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

aztecpyramid

Mike Trout is a FA?

PostWed May 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I find it interesting that Mike Trout was not drafted by anyone.

When I was playing around with auto line ups and different H% / P% balances, I did notice that he popped into my line up a few times.

I guess there is more value with lower cost players, for example you could get a solid OF and a solid SP for the same 11.5 Mil?

Any comments?

ScumbyJr

Re: Mike Trout is a FA?

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Was it an $80M league? It's not unusual for the highest priced players to go undrafted. Getting value cards is a big part of this game. That is, cards enhanced or not reduced in value by ballpark homers and singles. Preseason is the critical part of the season. By trying to draft highest priced players it limits your options. Now saying it is wrong or shouldn't be done, but there is a logical explanation why a Trout is not drafted.

ScumbyJr

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:24 pm

aztecpyramid wrote:I find it interesting that Mike Trout was not drafted by anyone.

When I was playing around with auto line ups and different H% / P% balances, I did notice that he popped into my line up a few times.

I guess there is more value with lower cost players, for example you could get a solid OF and a solid SP for the same 11.5 Mil?

Any comments?

I might have misread. ALL Players are FA at draft time. They are all up for grabs, if multiple teams list them, the highest position gets him. Ties are randomly broken. If you are a loser in a tiebreaker you are given the next highest salary card for that position. For CF it might be Bradley for example

coyote303

PostWed May 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Often, high priced players (who are worth the price) go undrafted simply because managers expect them to be drafted by someone else. For example, in my latest 60s league, Koufax and Drysdale both went undrafted. I wish I had tried to draft them both! I tried drafting Koufax a couple of times with my first pick and never got him. Same with Killebrew; I have drafted him first a few times but don't get him--not once, not ever.

Setting your autodraft card is more art than science and more luck than either.

Return to General Strategy