Question about DH rule

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

The Biomechanical Man

Question about DH rule

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 9:47 am

In a game last night, Cliff Pennington pinch hit for my DH in the 9th inning and stayed in the game as DH. No problem. But then in the 15th inning, Pennington shifted from DH to 3B! It is not mentioned what happened with Wilmer Flores, who had been playing 3B. I believe in real baseball, Flores would be out of the game and the pitcher would be hitting in his spot (i.e. you lose the DH). I'm not sure if that is the correct real-life rule, but regardless, I was surprised that HAL moved a DH onto the field.

Has anyone ever seen HAL move a DH into the field? What happens in Strat to the former fielder?

Here is the boxscore to my game: http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/432670/220

Here is the play-by-play: http://365.strat-o-matic.com/game/playbyplay/432670/220

MARCPELLETIER

Re: Question about DH rule

PostSun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 pm

My understanding is that you did lost your dh, just like in AL. Otherwise, I would have expected Hal to announce a replacement dh for Pennington.

It did occur to me once that the dh came on the field, but I don't remember if the pitcher came in to hit, I guess he did unless he was pinch-hit.

paul8210

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 am

From Wikipedia.....

The designated hitter can be moved to a fielding position during the game. If the DH is moved to another position, his team forfeits the role of the designated hitter, and the pitcher or another player (the latter possible only in case of a multiple substitution) would bat in the spot of the position player replaced by the former DH. If the designated hitter is moved to pitcher, any subsequent pitcher (or pinch-hitter thereof) would bat should that spot in the batting order come up again (except for a further multiple substitution). Likewise, if a pinch-hitter bats for a non-pitcher, and then remains in the game as the pitcher, the team would forfeit the use of the DH for the remainder of the game, and the player who was DH would become a position player (or exit the game).

The Biomechanical Man

PostMon Mar 20, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks, Marc and Paul. So according to MLB rules, Zach Britton was in the lineup in Flores' spot once Pennington switched from DH to 3B.

I'm impressed that moving the DH to the field was in HAL's arsenal, considering moving the normal DH to another starting position for an injured player is not in HAL's arsenal, even when the starting DH is listed as the backup in the Strat lineup.

Return to General Strategy