Help us - what would you like to see in Barnstormers 2017 ?

the official tournament of the All-Time Greats VI player set

Moderator: mighty moose

• Author

chuckwonup

Re: Help us - what would you like to see in Barnstormers 201

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks Moose for all your time and patience.

Only thing I would change is the 200 mil league - I hate it. Maybe have a choice between joining a league either 60 mill or 200 mil.

gkhd11a

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 11:34 pm

There was a lot of discussion on the topic and the reason I gave for including the 200 million league is that if choices for leagues are given then you are allowing to play more games at their comfort level instead of challenging the eventual champion to play at all levels and different parks.

The 200 million is a different game than the other caps and requires either a very superior draft or a lot of work day to day in order to remain competitive, in most cases it is not a set it and forget it kind of league, unless you get very fortunate on the draft. It was a very tough decision for Moose to make as many players like you do not like at all the 200 million league.

mighty moose

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am

SOM is preparing our Main event page now with dates and event specifics. There WILL be a 200 ONLY event but we hope to have a thread out with exactly the kind of tips and techniques that will inspire participants to embrace the event and level the playing field - so to speak. As Charlie just said and was one of the reasons why they (the board members) convinced me to keep the event - we want our Champion to succeed in every cap, not to CHOOSE their comfort zone.

mighty moose

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 2:41 pm

SOM has responded that they will provide the extra 12 credits for expansion of the semi-finals last league to 24 teams. But only if the Barnstormers membership reaches 150. (We were 144 last year from most of the Tournament) - Hopefully we can start a "tell a friend" campaign and get the players needed to reach this goal.

Personally I feel it's a little petty of SOM to quibble over 12 credits due to the amount of revenue that Barnstormers has generated over the amazing amount of consecutive years, but hey - that's SOM - it's a business, not the same look and "feel good" as Sporting News dot com. :cry:

BDWard

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:30 pm

To be honest, the potential to get an extra credit is a nice perk, but it's not what motivates me to pay for 6 Barnstormers teams and potentially a 7th & 8th team if I make the Semis and then the Finals. I like the competition and like to see how other managers structure their teams at various caps and differing ballparks. Not only is it an opportunity to learn how to improve my teams, but it helps me assess how I "measure up" compared to other managers.

Instead of a free credit, how about if SOM rewards all of the Semis and Finals qualifiers with the being able to choose 5 player cards to be added to the ATG Series? Before you dismiss the idea out of hand, consider this:

1. I'd bet my last dollar that at least 75% of the Semis and Finals qualifiers would prefer to choose new cards for the ATG series instead of getting a credit;

2. Having the possibility to pick cards for doing well in the tournament would likely increase interest, resulting in more managers participating in the tournament and more revenue for SOM and players hanging in the tournament longer;

3. EVERY MANAGER has a number of players he would like to see added to the ATG series;

4. SOM has stated in numerous posts in the ATG forum that it is committed to the idea of adding new cards, but has always been slow to do so. Since credits for performing well in the tourney deprive SOM of revenue, why not reward successful players with the chance to choose new cards, since SOM plans to add new cards anyway, meaning there would be no additional cost to do so? All that would change is the method of selection, and there is nothing to prevent SOM from later (or sooner) adding additional ATG cards independently of the tourney.

5. Can you imagine the buzz generated by 50 or so managers each having the opportunity to select new cards? The ATG forum would be alive with suggestions and ideas on which cards to choose. Discussion and anticipation is good for business. Just look at all the new leagues resulting from the release of the 2016 season set. Everybody knows that NEW CARDS ARE GOOD FOR BUSINESS and generate more teams.

6. Given the multitude of card sets generated over the years by SOM, chances are that many of the cards would already be in existence and would only need to be priced for ATG. Compare this to the annual card sets based on the most recently completed season, where SOM starts from scratch with every one of about 800 cards and usually gets the cards created, printed and priced for the online game within about 4 months of receipt of the official stats for the most recently completed MLB season. Pricing 250-300 cards already in existence for the ATG game would be a much easier process than creating from scratch the new annual cards based on the most recently completed MLB season.

7. SOM could reserve the right to deny certain new ATG cards based on skewed unrealistic stats resulting from limited AB or IP, such as the oft mentioned Roger Freed 1977 card where he hit .398 with .463 OBP and .627 SLG based on 95 plate appearances. (BTW, when will SOM get rid of that Gates Brown card based on just 9 more plate appearances than Freed had in 1977?)

Awarding the opportunity to select player cards to successful BSer managers instead of credits is a win-win situation for SOM and the SOM online gaming community. It's an idea whose time has come and it should be seriously considered by SOM and the Barnstormers' board.

Rosie2167

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:15 pm

Amen to that, more cards = interest = discussion = good for the game.

mighty moose

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 3:29 pm

We would have to offer that possibility to SOM as a "players choice" - they granted the Barnstormers WINNER the right to choose 5 cards, so they may think of that as a privileged thing and now giving it to a whole bunch more people may diminish it's value. I'll certainly bring it up at my next communications with them.

BDWard

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 am

I'm fine with the "player choice" of a credit or selecting 5 new player cards to be added to the ATG series for those who qualify for the Barnstormer Semis or Finals. I frankly don't see how this "may diminish" the value of 5 more player card choices being given to the eventual winner. It actually creates a chance at more value to the entire BSer participant community and creates more actual value for Semis and Finals qualifiers. Besides, giving Semis and Finals qualifiers 5 new cards to add to the ATG series isn't about the winner, it's about creating an alternate award for said qualifiers that will cost SOM nothing and generate more revenue for SOM as a viable alternative and solution to SOM's expressed reticence to issue more credits, since SOM is on record as saying it is going to add more ATG cards anyway. All this does is add another method for new card selection.

Rick, while most of us appreciate a perk from SOM, you aren't exactly going to them hat in hand. If you saw my last post in the ATG forum on this topic, your volunteer efforts in running the tourney now generate an annual net of about $10,000.00 for SOM, which isn't exactly chump change. While I wasn't around for the early years of the tourney, which is now entering its 15th season, even if participation was lower in the early years, the tourney seems to NOW have a steady participation level and my guess is that it has provided well over $100,000.00 in revenue over the years and will continue to add to that sum going forward, which SOM would NEVER be able to replace without the tourney.

While I agree with your comment that it's "petty" of SOM to quibble about 12 extra credits as a result of the expanded Semis, I think it would be shortsighted and foolish for SOM to not consider the added player option as a face saving, no additional cost alternative. This is a great chance for SOM to hit a homerun in the eyes of the community. I hope they don't strike out, as one only gets to the plate a few times in this game.

LANCETUCKER

PostFri Mar 10, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm glad we are keeping the 200 cap because as much as some detest it I detest the 60 cap just as much, probably because I've gotten my ace handed to me in every one I've played in. I also like the expanded playoff as I just missed by a couple of wins getting into the playoffs last year. Lastly I LOVE BDWard's idea that if I make the playoffs I get to pick 5 cards instead of a credit. I figure if I get that far I've probably won 1 for that round anyway. I fully support his contentions that it would generate more interest-more players=more revenue for Strat. The only sticking point I see is getting Start to actually get this done. I've only been a player for a couple of years but I've read where Strat has promised then not delivered on more than 1 occasion. To prevent Strat from following through, maybe there is a way for the community to be heard on this. If enough of them support BDWard's suggestion, say a blitz of emails asking for this to happen?

mighty moose

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am

While I start prep work this weekend on getting the signup sheet out and sending out e-mail invites to every man, woman and beast in the world who has ever played Barnstormers, I'll e-mail SOM and pitch the idea. Thanks for those who have voiced support for the idea. I'm sure they peek in here and read what's being talked about.
PreviousNext

Return to --- ATG Barnstormers Tour