Getting Starter/Relievers to pitch in relief

Discuss different strategies for any of our player sets

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

centerfielder17

Getting Starter/Relievers to pitch in relief

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 am

Anyone have advice on how to get your 'spot' starters into a game as a reliever? I have a couple of teams that rotate 4 or 5 non starred starters depending on matchups and i would like to get them into other games as relievers but can't seem to figure out the right settings. I have seen others do this - but I can't find the right formula.

Thanks!

sociophil

Re: Getting Starter/Relievers to pitch in relief

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 am

Assign them a bullpen role, like mopup.

centerfielder17

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 11:54 am

Yes, I tried that in several different roles, but HAL always uses regular relievers, even if they are not set in the role.

Does HAL look at other factors like time since last start?

I have tried not setting a rotation. I have tried not setting specific starters more that for the games that night.

paul8210

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 1:09 pm

I think, as you said, time since last start might be another factor. I've had my "highest in the queue" middle reliever passed over by HAL if he hasn't had adequate rest since his last start. I also have a slight suspicion HAL will pass over the guy for relief, not only if he's scheduled to start in tonight's series, but, also, if he's scheduled to start for tomorrow's series.

andycummings65

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 3:35 pm

I currently have a non* SP/RP as both my #3 starter and my Top Reliever.
My Rotation is
1. SP*
2. SP*
3. SP/RP 8/5
4. SP/RP
5. SP/RP

I also have my third starter listed as top Closer and Setup. He just pitched Game 19 as Setup and pitched three Innings, getting the Save. He was scheduled to start Game 20 and threw a complete game, getting the win. Even though he pitched 3 innings in Game 19, he began Game 20 at F9, not being downgraded to F8 until the 9th inning.

This is a Franchise Keeper type league, and I used the same procedure last season, with this pitcher starting 20 games and relieving in 25 games, winning 13 games and saving 12.

I also had a 3m "backup" closer/setup guy, who picked up the relief opportunities that my SP/RP missed.

centerfielder17

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Thanks Andy, appreciate the input.

I'll give it a try.

Jim

milleram

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 am

This will only work in the example above with 2*/3S/R or with a 1*/4S/R--and then only when the S/R is rested for his 4 full games after a start. Relievers can pitch 2 in a row before they have to rest, this is why the S/R came into the next game as a starter with no rest penalty.

I have used the 2*/3 scheme quite often, but I never count on one of them relieving--I don't assign them roles, but I do set my better relievers as don't use in a blowout and don't use before the 6th-7th when I want HAL to use my S/R's in relief--therefore the one starter that is being skipped will tend to get used in those situations when they occur.

Return to General Strategy