5 man rotation

Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

tony best

5 man rotation

PostMon May 18, 2015 10:23 am

I have never tried a 5 man rotation ( too lazy). Does it make sense to have a couple asterick starters and regular starters or should it be just one or the other OR does it matter at all? Thanks

Valen

Re: 5 man rotation

PostMon May 18, 2015 12:24 pm

General consensus from past threads which have asked this is that since there is cost involved with an * pitchers then it was wasted money not to use them as such. So I tend to fall in that camp as well. Go all four * or all five non-* but do not straddle that fence.

If you are going to just set your rotation as opposed carrying extra starters to use in matchup capacity then do not see how lazy factors in. It is just a couple extra mouse clicks to add that 5th starter to rotation.

tony best

PostMon May 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Thanks for the reply . The lazy factor is not looking at all the non * pitchers stats.

blue turtle

PostMon May 18, 2015 12:39 pm

I straddle the fence, and if I am going 4 SP, get the best. If I am going 5 SP, I get whoever fits, * or not. The important thing to me is getting value for the price.

the splinter

PostMon May 18, 2015 2:19 pm

the rule goes out the window in higher cap leagues

DERRICKSANSON

PostMon May 18, 2015 2:54 pm

In my experience the non * starter are the best value. However, your at a disadvantage come playoff time. So, I have mastered the art of making the playoffs and losing in the semi's. I have seen a few guys "cash in" the bottom 3 starters at the deadline and get best 2 available * for the stretch run.

blue turtle

PostMon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm

DERRICKSANSON wrote:In my experience the non * starter are the best value. However, your at a disadvantage come playoff time. So, I have mastered the art of making the playoffs and losing in the semi's. I have seen a few guys "cash in" the bottom 3 starters at the deadline and get best 2 available * for the stretch run.

Now that you mention it, I am starting to see this kind of result....

poolman

PostMon May 18, 2015 7:03 pm

its a real shame they don't allow everyone to use a 4 man rotation in the playoffs. I can't think of an mlb team that has used 5 in the post season.

STEVE F

PostMon May 18, 2015 8:12 pm

poolman wrote:its a real shame they don't allow everyone to use a 4 man rotation in the playoffs. I can't think of an mlb team that has used 5 in the post season.

At the very least there should be a day off between games 2 and 3 and a day off between games 5 and 6, just like MLB

MARCPELLETIER

PostTue May 19, 2015 1:03 am

Except for higher cap leagues, mixing non *SP and *SP is usually not a good way to get most of your money. If a *SP gets only 32 starts, you basically lose 20% of his value. If you give a *SP 40 starts, and limit the other pitchers to roughly 30 starts, then overall, you lose a bit less than 15%. Over 4M, there ain't many pitchers who are worth that waste---but it's possible for cheaper values---15% of 2M is only 300K, but 15% of 9M is a whoopy 1.35M.

BTW, the edge for a *SP rotation over a non *SP rotation in the playoffs is not so big. For ease of calculation, let's assume that a *SP is priced to pitch 40 games and a non *SP to pitch 32 games. So by simply dividing by 10, a fair distribution for the playoffs would be 4 games for a *SP and "3.2" for a non *SP, or the same ratio expressed differently, "3.75" games by *SP for every 3 games pitched by non *SP, which is pretty much the ratio you have for your top 3 starters in 13 games of playoffs.

4 games 1st *SP vs 3 games of 1st non *SP
4 games 2nd *SP vs 3 games of 2nd non *SP
3 games 3rd *SP vs 3 games of 3rd non *SP
avg=3.7...........vs.......avg=3 games

The *SP still get advantaged because the extra games come from your two best pitchers, but it's not that great if your 3rd starter is as good as the first two.

If SOM could give a 4th start to the best non *SP, then this advantage to the non SP would balance out things. This could be performed by giving two rest days between the two series---this would allow the best non SP to come back for the last game of the second series.

In any case, I disagree about allowing everyone to go with a 4-men rotation, the advantage would then be way too great for the nonSP---unless SOM allows the *SP to pitch 1-4-7, which would then give a too big advantage to *SP.
Next

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx