Moderator: Palmtana

• Author

mastermosser30

defensive e rating and its importance

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 2:46 am

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1117922

80 mil, kershaw in progressive, should win 100 games

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/btf ... atfldg.htm

this chart helped me (a looooong time start player) put together a team like this.....total e rating of 38

http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1114156

this is my first attempt at this, 100 mil league

I will never again play high e rating players, I am more prone to play a 3e9 then a 2e20 or 1e30.....any thoughts?

durantjerry

Re: defensive e rating and its importance

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 9:09 am

In my experience if you get the "e" rating under 40 you are doing really good. That being said, it's no guarantee of success and I can post the teams to prove it. There is a ceiling on the amount of bad pitching and bad hitting a great fielding team con mask.

scumby

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 10:20 am

It will be interesting to see how that $80M team does. I am skeptical that the e rating alone can make or break a team.

mastermosser30

PostFri Nov 15, 2013 12:28 pm

i agree, good d can only pick up so much......but this is not a bad hitting team and mr k is the best pitcher in the set.

i would be interested to see those teams, were they 20xx sets? or ATG

i do this often with my ATG teams and do not see the difference like i see in the 20xx sets. over the last few years I have seen the price on defense only get higher in the 20xx sets and I see more and more going to the iron glove, all power teams with good success.

i have played the home pc strat game since the 90s and have tried all sorts of theme teams to see which can provide the most impact. the only other theme i saw greater than average success with was the all strikeout staff.

the e rating team only really works when all infielders are under 10 and combined outfield is under 10. better hope your catcher has an accurate arm and the team is either a "stadium team" "pitchig team" or "hitting team" along with the e rating.

my best advice after some 20 years playing this game, don't go with one theme, go with two.

durantjerry

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Most of my teams that were great defensively emphasized the "D" rating more than the "e" rating. You can potentially have great success with these teams. Like I said, if I have a bunch of top defenders and my "e" rating is less than 40 I am on to something. This is a team that had "1" defenders up the middle along with low "e" ratings(ONLY 20 errors all year). Even the most if not all of the pitchers had "0" for an "e" rating, as they made no errors for the year:
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/226467
Here is a more recent one with worse defenders having good "e" ratings(34 errors). I pushed the boundaries on the pitching side a bit too much as the results show.
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1105045
Here is one I just drafted:
http://onlinegames.strat-o-matic.com/team/1118192

ClowntimeIsOver

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:09 pm

I think the "marginal value" of low e ratings on the corners is very low -- i.e., the decrease in e rating at LF, RF, 1B, and 3B becomes less and less valuable if the middle guys are already great fielders -- not worth it to push that aspect so hard, better to focus on low WHIPs

of course, the big wild card is catchers' throwing errors, which HAL loves to completely overdo relative to the TE-rating

just my two cents -- could be hugely wrong, I dunno

NYY82602

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:14 pm

I find infield defense in general to only be valuable in high HR parks, because it plays into the general strategy of keeping runners off of any base, where a HR can score them. Otherwise, I agree that maximizing pitcher value to your park is a more efficient way to do the same thing. Outfield defense I think is important in low single, low HR parks, because total bases are very key and most outfield miscues are extra bases. That said, I've never distinguished much between range and e ratings for what I think is more important; I usually just take the defense that comes with the hitters that fit my park best.

LMBombers

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 5:31 pm

IMO an E or a H allowed by your infield defense is about the same so it is not fielding range or E rating alone that helps your defense. For instance at 2B a 1e21 will allow approximately the same number of bases than a 2e5. Then again the 1e21 will turn more double plays than the 2e5.

coyote303

PostSat Nov 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Just looking at e ratings, which is a better pair of full-time, no-injury-chance starters?

SS e30
3B e10

SS e10
3b e30

Here's a clue: It's similar to the question you may have heard in elementary school that asks which weighs more, a pound of nails or a pound of popcorn?

The answer is, of course, that you will end up with (on average) 40 errors between the two positions either way.

milleram

PostTue Nov 19, 2013 9:23 pm

the e ratings are generally more important than the range at 1B,3B, and P. 2B and SS (where you can get extra DP's off the fielding charts) is a bit more complicated.

I don't mind a player like Ortiz 5-e16 at 1B---the e16 is not that bad--and I figured the O.B. allowed equivalent 1B as 4e-22 (actually 21.5), 3e-27...so on---- since a 5 guy gets no worse when holding runners on-base, the 5 is actually better than the 4 or 3 guys above in the long run, except maybe for potential DP's off the fielding chart.

Outfielders are different to me. 4 or 5 Outfielders give up too many extra bases unless they have really good offensive cards.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball 365 20xx