Help "reading" the cards for new mystery game managers

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Jimmy_C

Re: Help "reading" the cards for new mystery game managers

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Bump

Outta Leftfield

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 10:49 pm

One thing I look at a lot is platoon splits. There's no certainty here, but in a 3L year a player is unlikely to kill RHP, and vice versa. Looking at triple or walk totals within platoon splits can also be helpful. Often you're making an educated guess about player cards rather than dealing from certainty, and this can help you make a better guess.

Sometimes you've got a player who is killing pitchers from a given side, and even though you can't be sure what card it is, you do know he's killing RHP. That may be all you need to know if you can find a lefty killer to platoon with him
Last edited by Outta Leftfield on Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy_C

PostTue Oct 15, 2013 5:51 am

Bump

fredpaii

PostTue Oct 15, 2013 7:07 am

Radagast Brown wrote:I really like the idea of leaving the lineup blank once to see who the computer inserts where in the lineup.

Paul_Long71 wrote:bad idea now Radagast. That's the update they made....took away this clever idea.

How exactly did they do that? I can guess but I really want someone who KNOWS for sure to tell me. Is this a consensus finding?

coyote303

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 12:45 am

fredpaii wrote:
Radagast Brown wrote:I really like the idea of leaving the lineup blank once to see who the computer inserts where in the lineup.

Paul_Long71 wrote:bad idea now Radagast. That's the update they made....took away this clever idea.

How exactly did they do that? I can guess but I really want someone who KNOWS for sure to tell me. Is this a consensus finding?

Mr. Long knows what he's talking about. See John Garcia's blog post of August 1:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=633525&s

fredpaii

PostWed Oct 16, 2013 5:42 am

coyote303 wrote:
fredpaii wrote:

Mr. Long knows what he's talking about. See John Garcia's blog post of August 1:

Thanks. It's a mystery to me.

Radagast Brown

PostSun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 pm

It looks like there are some new players in my current 1970s league so I recommended this thread and I wanted to bump it up top for the new guys.

Jimmy_C

PostWed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 pm

Bump for Mystery Tournament newbies.

The Biomechanical Man

PostThu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 pm

coyote303 wrote:
fredpaii wrote:

Thank you guys for pointing this out. I am playing my first Mystery league, and thought I would be clever and leave my lineup blank. Oh well, back to my land of confusion. At least I am now just blind, not going under a false concept.

franky35

PostFri Dec 13, 2013 2:41 am

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR LINEUP BLANK!!!!! That is an old technique that no longer works at all due to changes in the programming. I think all the talk about blank line-ups makes this thread much too confusing for new players. Really, this thread should be scrapped because the blank line-up technique is now bad advice. I am going to bump my simple advice for new players. If we want to create a thread for detailed advice and discussion for new players, we should start a new thread in view of the changes to HAL.
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s