teams of the 70s-Final update-the playoffs

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

LMBombers

Re: New league-70s players set-team draft underway.-LMB is u

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 10:52 am

Many teams will have imperfect lineups, especially the teams from the last half of the draft. I have Don Money starting at 2B who is a 4 defensively just because I have Darrell Evans (or George Scott??) to play 3B and I have no 2B better than a 3 defensively and those guys don't own a bat.

This is what makes franchise leagues interesting!

JJB92

Re: New league-70s players set-team draft underway.-Burley i

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 11:02 am

All of the managers are going to have to make tradeoffs and hope for the best at at least one position. Managing the salary cap is another significant challenge--teams can look great on paper but when the reality of underperforming stars arrives, team funds adds a level of complexity.
Last edited by JJB92 on Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cabrera24

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 1:50 pm

At first I wanted to take the SF-Oak team combo, but I didn't go that way because of the choice of ballpark. Then I pick New York New York for no reason, I thought the Yankees were good. What a bad pick. Anyway I should have a good pitching staff at least my pick of the Yankees will provide a good ballpark to start many lefty!

Many SP available for position players back up or OF...

I got no back up at any position and very weak in the OF...

c Munson NYY
1B Blomberg NYY
2B Randolph NYY, Millan NYM
SS Harrelson NYM
3B Nettles NYY
Of Murcer NYY, ??????

jayhawk81

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 1:58 pm

i have OFers galore, looking for 2b/SS, another SP*

jayhawk81

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 2:05 pm

and a Catcher

JJB92

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 2:17 pm

10-Cabrera24 - Yankees/Mets
12-MFL536 - Ohio Cin-Clev
5-Drabb9529 (via proxy)--Nation's Capital--Baltimore/Montreal
9-Jayhawk81 - Pirates/Twins
1-JJB92-Chicago
7-NewGuy1912-Silicon Valley
8-MGoren5166 - Boston/Detroit
6-TDKearns- Hollywood
11-LMBombers - Home of the Braves
2-BurleyNorseman-Kansas City/St. Louis (via proxy)
3-Generationm1
4-KaiserWill4

generationm1

Re: New league-70s players set-team draft underway.-Genm1 i

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 2:36 pm

1-JJB92-Chicago
6-TDKearns- Hollywood
3-Generationm1 - Phillies/Padres
4-KaiserWill4

KaiserWill4

Re: New league-70s players set-team draft underway.-Genm1 i

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 3:03 pm

1-JJB92-Chicago
6-TDKearns- Hollywood
3-Generationm1 - Phillies/Padres
4-KaiserWill4: Lone Star-Texas/Houston

JJB92

Re: (Mostly) Geography- teams of the 70s-Preview/week 1 resu

PostFri Feb 16, 2024 12:40 pm

For those who are interested in how this league turns out, a summary of activity will be posted (most) Friday's. Since only 9 games have been played, this update will include the key players each team will be relying on in the coming weeks.

East Division---this division is home to the 4 teams with the highest player salaries available to them

Pittesota TwiRates---Jayhawk81: With an experienced owner (137 teams in the 70s game, 56 playoff appearances and 15 championships) at the helm, the TwiRates have access to the Pittsburgh Pirates and Minnesota Twins. With an outfield consisting of Willie Stargell (-4), Roberto Clemente (-5) and Dave Parker (-2), it's doubtful most teams will be taking the extra base on balls hit to the outfield. Rod Carew, Harmon Killebrew and Leo Cardenas compliment the roster. Starting pitchers include Jerry Reuss, Bert Blyleven and John Candeleria with Ramon Hernandez providing closer duties. The team is off to a 6-3 start and currently hold second place in the east.

New York New Yor--cabrera24 leads the New York (Yankees and Mets) club. Cabrera24 has led 37 teams in the 70s, appearing in 8 playoffs and winning 1 championship. The club was very very active in the preseason moving Tom Seaver, Ron Guidry and Mel Stottlemyre before the season began. Tom Terrific brought back Bob Forsch, Garry Templeton, Hal McRae and Paul Schaal from the St. Louis Royals. Ron Guidry, along with Ed Kranepool were dealt to thet All is Better in Texas club with the New York club receiving Larry Dierker, Cliff Johnson, Greg Gross and Fred Gladding. Mel, along with Lou Piniella was dealt to the Cinci Indians with the New York club receiving Buddy Bell, Oscar Gamble, Vada Pinson, Wayne Granger and Jack BIllingham. New York is off to a 3-6 start and still have an impressive rotation (Jon Matlack, Jerry Koosman, Fritz Peterson, Bob Forsch and Larry Dierker). Buddy Bell (.353/.350/.706) and Greg Gross (.350/.552/.500) are both off to great starts. New York is currently 3-6.

Hollywood Angelic Dodgers: tdkearns calls the shots for the Dodgers/Angels club. TD has led 9 clubs in the 70s reaching the playoffs an impressive 6 times including one championship. The Dodgers have 4 starters who would likely be the ace of any staff--Don Sutton, Burt Hooton, Nolan Ryan and Andy Messersmith. The Dodgers enhanced their infield by acquiring Luis Aparicio from the Red Sox for Jim Brewer in the preseason. The Dodgers have a high potential offense featuring Don Baylor, Willie Davis and Davey Lopes. The Dodgers are off to a bit of a rough start going 2-7 in the first 9 games.

Bay Area AthleticGiants: NewGuy1912 is leading his first team using the 70s player set. New has lead 4 other mystery teams, reaching the playoffs once and winning one championship. The AthleticGiants have a formidable starting staff led by Jim Hunter and Vida Blue. The Giants are off to a great start with a 7-2 record and a league best run differential of 29 runs. Gene Tenace, Dave Kingman and Bobby Bonds have each launched 4 home runs propelling the teams league best 18 dingers.

Central: Home to the 4 teams with the next highest salaries

Baltimore Expos: Drabb9529 leads the Expos--Drabb has directed 5 teams from the 70s game and is seeking his first playoff spot to go along with his 3 playoff appearances in the 80s set which led to a championship. The club's rotation features Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Mike Flanagan and Dennis Martinez. Eddie Murry, Bobby Grich, Ken Singleton, are all off to good starts to pace the offense. Frank Robinson appeared in the first two games but was then injured for the next 10 games. He will be returning shortly further improving the offense. The Expos are 5-4.

Detroit BoSox: MGoren5166 is calling the shots for the Boston/Detroit club. With 23 teams using the 70s set, 6 have made the playoffs and 2 were the last team standing deliving a championship. The BoSox have a potentially great offense relying on Carlton Fisk, Norm Cash, Al Kaline, Jim Rice and Reggie Smith. Somewhat surprisingly, starting ptiching has been a team strength with Rick Wise, Luis Tiant and Sonny Siebert all having ERAs under 3. Rick Wise and Luis Tiant have WHIPs of 1.04 and 1.00 respectively. The BoSox are currently 3-6.

Home of the Braves: LMBombers has led 157 teams using the 70s set and has racked up an impressive 13,078 wins leading to 62 playoff appearances and 15 championships. The Braves consist of the Milwaukee Brewers and Atlanta Braves. The offense features Hank Aaron, Robin Yount, Dale Murphy, Cecil Cooper and Ralph Garr while Phil Niekro, Mike Caldwell adn Pat Jarvis head up the starting pitching staff. Hank is off to a tough start (.135/.200/.378) but he won't end up with those numbers. The Braves are currently 4-5.

Cincy Indians: MFL536 is at the helm for what could be the team with the best pedigree--the vaunted Big Red Machine of the mid-70s. MFL has led 7 teams in the 70s reaching the playoffs once. The Indians added Mel Stottlemyre to their rotation which includes the Reds Gary Nolan and Gaylord Perry/Sam McDowell from the Indians. All members of the Big Red machine are present except for Cesar Geronimo. George Hendrick took over in center field which could make the team even better. The Indians are off to a 6-3 start and lead the Central.

West: The 4 teams with the lowest salaries reside in this division.

Chicawgo Grifters: JJB92 leads the Grifters. JJB has led 6 previous teams in the 70s set reaching the playoffs once and winning a championship. The Grifters feature an impressive bullpen consisting of Bruce Sutter and Rich Gossage and the top two starters are Wilbur Wood and Fergie Jenkins. The offense is led by hall of famers Billy Williams and Ron Santo. Dick Allen and Bill Madlock proivde additional offensive fire power. The Grifters are off to a 3-6 start.

St. Louis Royals: BurleyNorseman returns to lead his 4th team using the 70s set. His previous 3 teams resulted in 2 playoff appearances. The Royals acquired Tom Seaver to bolster the staff which now includes Tom, Bob Gibson and Dennis Leonard. Bob has an ERA of 2.21 but is still looking for his first win to offset his 2 losses. On the offensive side, George Brett is off to a great start (.405/.422.738) as is Keith Hernandez (.371/.465/.657) and Amos Otis (.314/.419/..543). Ivan DeJesus was acquired for John Wathan--Ivan is off to a great start .457/.474/.571). The Royals are 6-3.

San Diego Phanatics: The Phanatics consist of the Philadelphia Phillies and San Diego Padres and are lead by Generationm1. Gen has led 83 teams with 27 reaching the playoffs and 6 winning a championship. Gen captured the crown in a similar theme using the 80s player set. The Phanatics feature Steve Carlton and Randy Jones while the offense is led by Nate Colbert (.333/.385/.528), Mike Ivie (.389/.500/.611), Mike Schmidt (.314/.415/.486) and Dave Winfield (.282/.333..462). The Phanatics are currently 4-5

All is Better in Texas: KaiserWill4 makes his inaugural appearance in the 70s set. He is seeking his first playoff appearance with his third overall team using the mystery sets. The Texas club added Ron Guidry to the team which includes JR RIchard and Ken Forsch. The offense features Jose Cruz (.375/.423/.542), Cesar Cedeno (.297/.333/.460) and Toby Harrah (.350/.381/.650). Texas is off to a good start at 5-4.

jayhawk81

Re: (Mostly) Geography- teams of the 70s-Preview/week 1 resu

PostSat Feb 17, 2024 9:13 am

nice write up. appreciate all your efforts
PreviousNext

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s