Is platoon consistent?

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

franky35

Re: Is platoon consistent?

PostMon Oct 02, 2023 10:39 pm

I wonder if HAL is merely programmed to keep one player in reserve without any programming logic as to which one?

Against a lefty starter, all 3 of my OF are set to be replaced in a platoon.

In this case, there were 3 available OF on the bench (Carr CF- set to platoon v R for Walton)(E Davis, LF, CF, RF set to platoon at LF)(D Martinez RF, CF set to platoon in RF).

The CF (Walton) came up first. I had him set to be replaced by Carr. HAL left Carr on the bench and continued to bat Walton v R.

Next up was the LF (Hubbard), HAL correctly replaced him with Davis.

Next up was the RF (Ochoa). I had him set to be replaced by Martinez. HAL left Martinez on the bench and continued to bat Ochoa v R.

So, when Walton came up, there were 3 reserves available for CF but HAL did not make the platoon substitution. So it is not as simple as keeping one player in reserve.

franky35

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 1:33 pm

Results from last night's 3 game series. Referring to my same team (as above), Game 136 - HAL makes all the platoon substitutions in the 8th inning leaving no OF replacements (one injured OF was on the bench). Game 137 - in the 8th inning HAL does NOT platoon either CF or RF, leaving 2 healthy and 1 injured OF on the bench. Game 138 - HAL makes all the platoon substitutions in the 3rd inning leaving no OF replacements (one injured OF was on the bench). So, what was different about Game 137? One difference that stands out is that in the 7th inning HAL decides to have my CF switch positions with my RF; of course this should make no difference to platooning.

If anyone else sees platooning problems, please post them here.

franky35

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 1:42 pm

Please see my post just above. I am curious about other people's experience with platooning. But for me, the programming should be changed to be simpler. If a platoon comes up and the replacement is available, then HAL should always make the substitution. Whatever HAL is doing now with platoons, isn't working for me. I'm the manager, if I set a platoon, I want HAL to follow my instructions, I can't see why the current situation is better than simply making the platoon substitutions.

gritch

PostFri Oct 06, 2023 2:26 pm

I don’t recall anything but it’s possible it was happening and I wasn’t paying close enough attention. I am pretty sure this glitch only occurs when there are 3+ platoons. I agree it’s worth a request to have it fixed or perhaps they can explain what other logic they are guarding in overriding the setting (not sure what it would be as you’ve ruled out saving a bench slot as an emergency reserve). Ben

shoop

PostWed Oct 11, 2023 12:45 pm

I had this just last night that may have lead to some others not seeing a platoon.....I had platoon set for my right fielders and it worked all year until last night (for this example lets call Smith the starter and Jones the platoon player on the bench).....Early in game Hal used a pinch hitter for the platoon correctly for another position-my shortstop.....When inning ended and the pinch hitter went into the field at SS defensively, Hal, like he always does, made other defensive moves to what he considers best for the team. This is when he moved my right fielder (Smith) to center field. I came to bat next inning and Smith was up facing the pitching hand he shouldn't be. But Hal couldn't figure out how to platoon pinch hit for him with right fielder on the bench (Jones) since starter Smith was now in center field.

Maybe now that we are seeing in or front office page that there are site corrections being made,,,,,this can be added.

Others too we need, for example on a way to tell Hal not to pinch hit for a still strong starting pitcher late in the game when winning comes to mind.
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s