How to get Hal to pinch hit for worse batter?

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

shoop

How to get Hal to pinch hit for worse batter?

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 7:42 pm

My starting SS is in the lineup only for his glove, as he is a 1. We are about 120 games into the season, yet Hal has never pinch hit for him, in any situation. Down one in 9th with 2 outs an no one on, he hasnt brought in a power hitter even thou my SS isnt going to hit on out. If in 9th inning and down one and my SS is to lead off, he wont bring in a pinch hitter with a good on base card, even thou my SS has a below .300 oba. Finally, even if in a clutch situation late in the game, Hal wont pinch hit for him, here even thou I know the card he is using and it goes down in the clutch. The settings for the SS are so that it says for him to avoid both LH and RH pitching. And the don't PH 4 boxes are not check for the SS. Thanks.

MGoren5166

Re: How to get Hal to pinch hit for worse batter?

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 1:03 pm

Do you have pinch hitters designated under Team Strategy? There may not be a way to do what you're asking.

coyote303

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 5:24 pm

shoop wrote:...The settings for the SS are so that it says for him to avoid both LH and RH pitching...

Here's my suggestion: Uncheck the avoid both LH and RH pitching boxes. It shouldn't, but maybe it confuses the game engine. I don't know if that will fix the problem, but I think there's a good chance it will.

shoop

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 pm

Thanks....

Actually you both have made suggestions that I already tried,,,and neither worked.

Like I said, we are about 120 games into the season, and during that time I have and haven't listed a preferred pinch hitter....yet still he never gets replaced when the situation calls for.

Same thing with listing to avoid the LH-RH pitcher or leaving it blank.

Hal thou has pinch hit for other players in the lineup during the season, even thou there have been times the player removed from the game really should have been allowed to hit.....and I dont have anything marked to encourage the pinch hitting.

I added the last part now just so we all know that Hal has at time pinch hit for some of the others.

coyote303

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm

I'd like to see a link to your team if you don't mind...

ScumbyJr

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 9:36 pm

shoop wrote:My starting SS is in the lineup only for his glove, as he is a 1. We are about 120 games into the season, yet Hal has never pinch hit for him, in any situation. Down one in 9th with 2 outs an no one on, he hasnt brought in a power hitter even thou my SS isnt going to hit on out. If in 9th inning and down one and my SS is to lead off, he wont bring in a pinch hitter with a good on base card, even thou my SS has a below .300 oba. Finally, even if in a clutch situation late in the game, Hal wont pinch hit for him, here even thou I know the card he is using and it goes down in the clutch. The settings for the SS are so that it says for him to avoid both LH and RH pitching. And the don't PH 4 boxes are not check for the SS. Thanks.

is your backup SS any good on D? or is he so bad Hal does not want to remove your starter.

shoop

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 2:06 pm

Backup SS is a 2 with an e in the 20s. Also a third player can even cover SS at a range of 3 with an e of 20.

AdamKatz

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 pm

HAL does not usually bring in good obp guys. Is it possible that no one on your bench is in a good power year? I am sure they may be "better" than your SS, but HAL sometimes only bothers to bring in a ph if he is really good.

That being said, yeah, it is a problem Lost a ton of games down one run in the bottom of the 9th with bad hitters coming up to the plate with good hitters on the bench.

shoop

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:37 am

Thanks AdamKatz for that note of an odd and interesting strategy from Hal. Yet there have been several times this season when the tying run has been at the plate, he has pinched hit for good on base player cards with power hitters, which meds this all even a bit more confusing.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s