I got screwed

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

memphisjohn

I got screwed

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 10:17 pm

I am in a 60s mystery league. I had the second pick in waivers. I had enough money for Yaz. I got skipped and somebody else after me got him. Just in case the first guy took him, I set Tony Gonzalez as my second pick. I had $11M available, Tony is 5.03. After waivers, Tony is still available. WTF?

franky35

Re: I got screwed

PostWed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 pm

that really is a mystery. I've never had that happen to me. Is it possible that your selections weren't saved? If that isn't the case, I have no idea what happened.

Juiced JC

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 10:06 am

memphisjohn, I had something similar happen in the past, and I reached out 365 support and they were able to provide an explanation. One thing to look for is this - would the waiver claim you made have put you in violation of the roster rules for that set? If so, it skips the waiver claim and doesn't go to your next claim until your turn comes around again.

So let's say when you were trying to get Yaz you were trying to drop a pitcher as part of that claim. Well if you were already at the minimum allowable number of pitchers it just skips your turn. Or, if you were trying to drop a catcher as part of that claim and you only had 2 catchers on your roster it just skips your turn.

paul8210

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 1:38 pm

The transaction report shows the result of the waiver claim with an explanation, so, there shouldn't be any mystery why the player wasn't acquired.

Juiced JC

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 1:59 pm

paul8210 wrote:The transaction report shows the result of the waiver claim with an explanation, so, there shouldn't be any mystery why the player wasn't acquired.

That's right, thanks, I forgot about that. Check that out memphisjohn, you'll find your answer.
Here are the codes for unsuccessful waiver claims on that page:

1: went below minimum total team salary requirement
2: roster size requirements violated
3: illegal number of pitchers
4: illegal number of hitters
5: too few starting pitchers
6: too few relievers
7: too few closers
8: too few catchers
9: not enough cash
10: too few "pure" relievers

coyote303

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 4:19 pm

I'm in this league with him. It turns out he was trying to drop a reliever which would have put him below the 3-pure-reliever requirement. That stinks because he had enough cash without the drop, but it's good to know for the rest of us to avoid making the same mistake.

memphisjohn

Re: I got screwed...Retracted...

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 6:41 pm

As it turns out... I was the dumbass accidentally. At the last minute, I decided "what the heck, I'll drop a reliever I don't want". I mistakenly chose one of the "pure" relievers and cost myself Carl Yastrzemski. The irony is the name of my team is Maxwell Smart, who happened to be a total dumbass of a secret agent in the 1960s. Perhaps, my luck will mirror his and I will also accidentally win the league...

ScumbyJr

PostFri Nov 19, 2021 11:22 am

memphisjohn wrote:As it turns out... I was the dumbass accidentally. At the last minute, I decided "what the heck, I'll drop a reliever I don't want". I mistakenly chose one of the "pure" relievers and cost myself Carl Yastrzemski. The irony is the name of my team is Maxwell Smart, who happened to be a total dumbass of a secret agent in the 1960s. Perhaps, my luck will mirror his and I will also accidentally win the league...

So you missed YAZ by that much.

oldmansmith2

PostSun Nov 21, 2021 5:47 pm

ScumbyJr wrote:
memphisjohn wrote:As it turns out... I was the dumbass accidentally. At the last minute, I decided "what the heck, I'll drop a reliever I don't want". I mistakenly chose one of the "pure" relievers and cost myself Carl Yastrzemski. The irony is the name of my team is Maxwell Smart, who happened to be a total dumbass of a secret agent in the 1960s. Perhaps, my luck will mirror his and I will also accidentally win the league...

So you missed YAZ by that much.

Thanks for my chuckle of the day!

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s