WATCH OUT FOR BOTS

Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

Ducky

Re: WATCH OUT FOR BOTS

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 8:40 am

I am the same guy. My point is that taking the human element even further out of a computer generated game would lead me to stop playing the game if it becomes commonplace. Not sure why it happened in the league stratorat was in. I hope it was a one time occurrence.

As for trades, they are difficult once the season starts. Some managers are like the BOT and either don't read the offer or read it with no response. It still gives me pleasure to find a deal that works out for both managers.

Mike/Ducky

paul8210

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 1:33 pm

In an unrelated issue I noticed Floyd Bannister, an S6, came in to the bottom of the 10th inning of the final playoff game against the bot and pitched at F9 fatigue level for several batters. I've always seen a non-reliever start out at F0 in such a situation, so, I'm wondering if they made a logic change to rescue managers who carry only 9 pitchers on their roster. If I were the bot I would be very upset because the opposition ran out of pitchers with a nine man pitching staff and HAL still gave the Ducks a fresh reliever (for a few batters, anyway).

Sidenote: The bot leads two games to none in the finals. HAL seems to have figured out a way to avoid issuing credits! Will he avoid issuing two more credits? Stay tuned for more cost savings excitement!

stratorat

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 3:56 pm

HAL saves $60 and loses some loyal customers....... if I wasn't sitting on 26 credits, I'd be gone!
Wouldn't be surprised if they block my account before I can spend them.

ps. wrote SOM two days ago for an explanation as to why they would insert BOTS into the league without advance notice and asking that they consider crediting the league participants..... not even a response.

Some customer loyalty/service!

coyote303

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Ducky wrote:I am the same guy. My point is that taking the human element even further out of a computer generated game would lead me to stop playing the game if it becomes commonplace. Not sure why it happened in the league stratorat was in. I hope it was a one time occurrence.

As for trades, they are difficult once the season starts. Some managers are like the BOT and either don't read the offer or read it with no response. It still gives me pleasure to find a deal that works out for both managers.

Mike/Ducky

Mike, I agree with you if this becomes commonplace. I was just suggesting a little perspective since (so far at least) this is an extremely rare occurrence.

coyote303

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 4:40 pm

stratorat wrote:HAL saves $60 and loses some loyal customers....... if I wasn't sitting on 26 credits, I'd be gone!
Wouldn't be surprised if they block my account before I can spend them.

ps. wrote SOM two days ago for an explanation as to why they would insert BOTS into the league without advance notice and asking that they consider crediting the league participants..... not even a response.

Some customer loyalty/service!

Let's wait and see what SOM does if HAL's team wins. They might give two credits to the the runner up and possibly a single credit to semi-finalists. But to expect them to give everybody a refund is IMHO not reasonable.

And if you'd really quit over this (if you didn't have so many credits)...well it's certainly your right to do so.

stratorat

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Ducky wrote:If my team ended up in a league with a BOT, I would ask for a refund. I assume BOTs do not respond to trade offers nor do the manage the team other than to set a line up. Wouldn't be the same experience as playing with real people even if some of them have a hard time playing within the spirit and integrity of the game.

Wanted to share. SOM did the right thing!!

Attn Auto League 451707: Regarding the bot team that is in this league, it was not intended. Occasionally we add bot teams to private leagues by request, but never in Auto Leagues (unless unusual circumstances call for it). We have awarded a team credit to the Long Island Ducks, who was eliminated by the bot team in the Semi-Finals, and we will be awarding a team credit to Austin's Blind Mice III in addition to the one they will receive for making the Finals, should they not win.

paul8210

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 pm

Moral of story: Don't drop out of league or complain to SOM about a bot at the beginning of the pre-season/season! :D

pumasur

PostTue Oct 05, 2021 5:32 am

It happens when a manager is suspended for some reason.customer survey

kirstenberge

PostFri Feb 24, 2023 5:39 am

Don't whine to SOM about a bot or quit your league right before the preseason or regular season starts! the backrooms

jamemadison09

PostThu Apr 06, 2023 5:04 am

how did you determine it was a BOT? duotrigordle
Previous

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s