Our Mystery Card games - Superstar Sixties, The '70s Game, Back to the '80s, Back to the '90s, Dynamite 2000s

Moderators: Palmtana, coyote303

• Author

coyote303

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 2:54 pm

Note: This is a long thread, but if you want to improve your mystery game, read it!

New league concept! Sign up today. In this mystery league, I get $80 million dollars and everyone else gets $70 million.

1. ($80M) coyote303
2. ($70M)
3. ($70M)
4. ($70M)
5. ($70M)
6. ($70M)

Okay, I’m not really starting a league with this silly concept. Nobody would want to play in it (except for maybe me). However, some mystery leagues end up being as if this was the concept. How? Over-zealous roster moves by managers, especially after the drop penalty goes up. Eventually, these “busy” managers’ roster values get down to around $70 million.

For example, in my present 60s league, I created a spreadsheet comparing wins and current roster values after 81 games. In 10 out of 12 cases, the roster value predicted the standings (i.e., more roster value equated to more wins).

The fun of a mystery league is the work starts after the season begins. It is vital to drop players with stinker years and seek out players that will make your team competitive. Injury reveals are your best clues, but there are many other clues, which are covered in other threads. However, many managers use the worst clue of all: performance after just a handful of at bats or innings pitched. In other words, you just can’t tell which card someone has after 30 at bats--unless you have a solid clue (for example, hitting a ballpark homerun when some years the batter has a W rating).

I realize that sometimes you get off to a bad start, and you are desperate to turn things around. However, learn the secrets of evaluating cards to avoid cutting players who turn out to have good or even excellent seasons. Figuring out which season a player has is as much art as science, which makes the mystery concept so challenging and fun.

TL;DR: Don’t be too quick to drop a player unless you have sufficient evidence he is on a bad year.

Here are some additional thoughts concerning this concept:

1. There are different styles. For example, I’m pretty conservative in making roster moves. Yet, the best manager I ever competed against (franky, I’m talking about you!), was much more aggressive in turning over his personnel. So, find what works for you; just be smart about it!

2. Spend extra time evaluating your roster after 39 games and after 78 games because following your next series, the drop penalty goes up.

3. Some players don’t have a bad season. Don’t drop these players just because they are doing poorly (e.g., in the 60s, Frank Robinson or Hoyt Wilhelm).

4. Once you determine for sure a player has a good season, never drop him just because he is doing poorly.

5. There are exceptions to not cutting a player sooner rather than later. Just be sure you have a good reason before doing it.

6. The 60s are an extra challenge because the talent pool of really good players is thin. Wait too long, and there might not be any fresh, high-value replacements.

7. Once in a while, it pays to check on injury reveals when another manager cuts a player. I have picked up players who were on their best year because the former manager didn’t look at the evidence the injury provided.

8. Plan multi-player moves before you make your first move. It's awful to realize you don't have quite enough to pick up that last player you were planning on getting. The worst is to add a player and drop him immediately. Double check your figures before making the first move, and be sure to correctly figure in the drop penalty.

9. If you ever see a free agent show up in preseason that you really want, don’t wait to pick him up. All my advice above kicks in after the season (and the drop penalty) starts.

paul8210

Re: Sign Up for This New League Concept! (Mystery Game Advic

PostSat Sep 05, 2020 6:11 pm

All your points are 100% true.

I would love a mystery "enhancement" in which a manager would not be able to drop a player until a minimum of 10 calendar days after acquiring him. Giving up on a player too early often leaves available in the pool a player with no meaningful data (e.g, 9 at bats, 2 2/3 innings pitched) and detracts from the fun of another manager's analysis of whether to pick that player up.

My best pickup ever was a catcher who was dropped with woeful stats, but, after searching every game of his I found a game where he was injured for zero games and, therefore, didn't show up in the historical injury report. I added a player who I knew was on his best year. Talk about zero downside risk!

I also dislike the recent development which shows the number of HBP in the roster stats. I prefer finding this information the hard way because it offers a competitive advantage to a manager willing to spend the time finding out for himself.

If there is a benefit to giving up on a (possibly great) player too quickly without having the essential information needed to make a sound decision it's that sometimes you can bait an opposing manager into dropping key personnel. Let's say he's got a pretty good, but, not sensational first basemen. Your biggest need is a pretty good, but, not sensational first baseman. He's got lots of cash, drops the guy you'd like to have, and gains a player with considerable downside risk.

Runnin Rebel

Re: Sign Up for This New League Concept! (Mystery Game Advic

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 11:51 am

I've had success rummaging through the Bargain Bin of Free Agent listings by finding a pitcher or two who had posted a high ERA and WHIP after a few starts; only to find out they just neeeded a change of scenery to a pitcher-friendly park and a solid defense behind them to convert hits onto outs.

Return to Strat-O-Matic Baseball: '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, 2000s